Dolphin mormyrid?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Can any give good information on these fishes? My Lfs have some and I'm debating on getting one.

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Definitely an oddball. Gets about 16 inches but likely a foot in home aquariums. Would need a 90g with a cave or decor to hide behind/within. IMO smaller tanks led to more injury from spooks as the skin is sensitive even to medications . Low lights as will spook the fish and they are jumpers. They need a sandy bottom preferred as they will root the bottom substrate. Need at least 1.5 inches of substrate. Peaceful and will need tank mates that are the same. Can keep a few together but need a minimum of 6 to make sure there is no bullying. Bloodworms are good in the beginning and can give variety once settled in with frozen treats for example.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
It depends on what type exactly. I forget exactly which ones get big but some are capable of reaching 3 feet while others stay smaller around 18". I had the mormyrus kannume and it was extremely happy at around 82F, any higher it would start breathing extremely heavy. Mine would only eat live blackworms and frozen bloodworms in the 6 months I had it and i could not get it onto anythjng else. They are extremely hard to pellet train and they are extremely aggressive! I kept mine with a bunch of bichirs and it would constantly bully them around and I believe it harassed one of them to death. They are better off in a tank by themselves. I eventually had to sell mine cuz I was sick of it bullying everything but I still loved that fish and hope to get another 1 in a tank on its own very soon

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the rift lakes some large mormyrids feed on cichlids. The National Geo special, (think it was called) Jewels of the Rift has some footage of this.
They are nocturnal feeders that use a weak electrical current to locate sleeping prey.

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
Definitely will. Haha went to petsmart looking for toys for a fish and they laughed at me, then petco gave that wth is he on look lol never going to ask that question again!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Pics please :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Monster Aquaria Network App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store