Water Condition AND Breeding Question

bradss

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
Chicago
Hello,

I have three new motoro stingrays. I have two males and one female. Right now the two males are in a 400 gallon tank and are doing very well - active! The female is in a 180 gallon tank (both with correct sand substrate) but is hiding mostly and eats sometimes and doesn't eat other times. I have a couple questions/concerns:

1) The water quality conditions are the same with both tanks - all normal with one exception - the Nitrate is high (about 80). I did a 50% water change two days ago and will most likely do another today. I also bought a product to reduce the Nitrate and it should arrive today. Is this a big concern and what else should I do?

2) When I bought all the rays a couple weeks ago a male and female were living together in the same tank and the other male was separate. I would like to breed the rays. What advice does anyone have... can I put the female in with both males in the large tank or should I switch the male and female so there is only one male and one female in the 400 gallon tank?

The rays are young - about seven inches at this point.

Thanks

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
You are not even close to breeding age or size at this point so don't even thing about it or worry about it, work on making the rays have the best water possible and get them eating fully. Then in about 1.5-2 years breeding will just happen naturally.

Some advice and questions-
Your nitrates need to be around 20 or lower
If one is not eating well you need to figure out why and pay special attention to that ray maybe even dividing it(like you have done)
What is your Ammonia and Nitrites at?
Why did you move the rays around if they were setup in different tanks before? Did the female eat in the 400 better or not? What are you offering her? Maybe she just wants different food.
Honestly a 400 gallon tank should be plenty for all three of them if they are only 7 inches and its a 400 gallon tank, But get them all eating well.

bradss

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
Chicago
Thank You Didysis!

Let me answer your questions:

Your nitrates need to be around 20 or lower - THANK YOU. CAN YOU SUGGEST A WAY I CAN MAKE THAT HAPPEN?

If one is not eating well you need to figure out why and pay special attention to that ray maybe even dividing it(like you have done) - OK

What is your Ammonia and Nitrites at? - BOTH ARE AT ZERO

Why did you move the rays around if they were setup in different tanks before? - I PURCHASED THEM AT A SUPPLY STORE AND THEY WERE LIVING LIKE THAT. I HEARD I SHOULD KEEP TWO MALES AWAY FROM A FEMALE SO I SEPARATED THEM WHEN I GOT HOME. Did the female eat in the 400 better or not? - NOT APPLICABLE What are you offering her? I HAVE BEEN OFFERING HER DICED UP UNCOOKED SHRIMP AND ATTEMPTING TO FEED HER BLOODWORMS BUT THE TANKMATES EAT THEM QUICKLY. I HAVE TRIED TO FEED HER BY PUTTING FOOD IN FRONT OF HER AND SHE SOMETIMES EATS THAT WAY BUT MOSTLY SITS THERE WITH SHRIMP IN FRONT OF HER AND DOESN'T EAT. Maybe she just wants different food. OK - ANY SUGGESTION?

Honestly a 400 gallon tank should be plenty for all three of them if they are only 7 inches and its a 400 gallon tank, But get them all eating well. - WILL TRY

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR (OR ANYONE ELSE'S) RESPONSE.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
To get the water down to a lower Nitrate Level you need to do more or larger water changes, Fresh water is what will bring the Nitrates down as long as your water supply is good with 0 nitrates or even 5 would be fine.

If she is eating shrimp at all I would just keep with it, unless she is starving, sounds like some of the other fish in the tank might be stressing her out and causing her to hide allot. Night crawlers are always a love for stingrays, Chopped to mouth size, But getting her on those will mean she will want a lot and take a bit to get off of them so have to decide if she is starving and needs food or if you can keep working at the shrimp, Tilapia is also a good food,

Thank You Didysis!

Let me answer your questions:

Your nitrates need to be around 20 or lower - THANK YOU. CAN YOU SUGGEST A WAY I CAN MAKE THAT HAPPEN?

If one is not eating well you need to figure out why and pay special attention to that ray maybe even dividing it(like you have done) - OK

What is your Ammonia and Nitrites at? - BOTH ARE AT ZERO

Why did you move the rays around if they were setup in different tanks before? - I PURCHASED THEM AT A SUPPLY STORE AND THEY WERE LIVING LIKE THAT. I HEARD I SHOULD KEEP TWO MALES AWAY FROM A FEMALE SO I SEPARATED THEM WHEN I GOT HOME. Did the female eat in the 400 better or not? - NOT APPLICABLE What are you offering her? I HAVE BEEN OFFERING HER DICED UP UNCOOKED SHRIMP AND ATTEMPTING TO FEED HER BLOODWORMS BUT THE TANKMATES EAT THEM QUICKLY. I HAVE TRIED TO FEED HER BY PUTTING FOOD IN FRONT OF HER AND SHE SOMETIMES EATS THAT WAY BUT MOSTLY SITS THERE WITH SHRIMP IN FRONT OF HER AND DOESN'T EAT. Maybe she just wants different food. OK - ANY SUGGESTION?

Honestly a 400 gallon tank should be plenty for all three of them if they are only 7 inches and its a 400 gallon tank, But get them all eating well. - WILL TRY

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR (OR ANYONE ELSE'S) RESPONSE.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
do you have a bunch of fish in the 400 like you do in the tank she is in, need to figure out what is making her not eat well, if water is better in the 400 I would be inclined to do that but also if she does not eat well in it then you might have a harder time getting her food, but rays seem to eat better when they compete with each other and they get interested in what the others are doing. hard to say of course, but work on more water changes to bring down the nitrates,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store