Done with Eheim - sunsun review

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
This is not a thread bashing Eheim. I have always loved their products this is just from personal experience with the particular canister I've owned. I have always admired their simplicity and high quality materials and overall build quality.

I have had a 2215 on a densely planted 40b tank for about 3 or 4 years. I've had numerous problems with it's operation since new. Maybe it's a lemon, maybe its not. I dont know. But im at the end of the road with this thing.

It's lost prime a couple times and caused fish to die. I think the motor is weak now, ive replaced the impeller and shaft recently with no results. I've replaced most of the plumbing, tubing, removed the quick disconnects, and put hose clamps on every possible point to rule out sucking air. The oring is ok for the motor head. I've kept it clean maybe once every 2 months I do maint. It was placed on a platform under the tank with low head height, equal length hoses with no kinks or loops. I did everything right. Oh and also this thing is deplorable for mechanical filtration. But that's another rant entirely.

Anyway those are my experiences. I'd like to fix it but im too frustrated. Im not shelling out big bucks to buy another one.

Here's the old champ holding it down - I had to dust it off and fill it full of media from the eheim. This bad boy is ancient and just won't quit, or better not quit for a few days. I got it used. Manufactured some time in the 90's if im not mistaken
uploadfromtaptalk1418929444120.jpg

I came close to pulling the trigger on a new fluval which I've only had stellar results with. But I had a change of heart and opted for 2 inexpensive Chinese units for the price of a single fluval. I like the redundancy of 2 filters

View attachment 1052166

Reviews seem favorable. I know the materials wont be of the same quality Of a name brand unit. But im ready to deal with it. I have reasonable expectations.

They should be here in the next couple days. Ill be doing an indepth review. There doesn't seem to be alot of info about these on the site. I'd like to contribute. See if they are worth messing with

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Im done with canisters period. i've realized that staying on top of their maintenance is just too much - nitrate producers.. And i've had 2 leak in the last year. i've got a bunch ready for the trash.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
I've never had an issue with a Eheim. Like you said, maybe you got a lemon. That sucks about the fish you've lost because of it.

I threw a couple of SunSuns out recently. Poor quality, noisy, and just cheap pieces of crap in my opinion.
Good luck with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Im not a huge fan either. Canisters are a pain. Ive replaced alot of them with sumps or HOB filters.

I feel they are a good option for a planted tank. Plus my 40b is on a 3 tier steel rack in the middle. There isnt enough clearance to put HOB filters ln it.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've never had an issue with a Eheim. Like you said, maybe you got a lemon. That sucks about the fish you've lost because of it.

I threw a couple of SunSuns out recently. Poor quality, noisy, and just cheap pieces of crap in my opinion.
Good luck with yours.

If the sunsuns don't cut the mustard I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a pair of fluvals down the road if they dont work.

To be honest ill be happy if a cheapo chinese knockoff lasts a year or 2. I am however not happy with an expensive german built premium unit that doesn't last long.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
That's interesting because I have had the opposite experience I have had more problems with HOB filters and not one problem with canisters. HOB filters always start making grinding noises and then I have replace impellers and motors.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
To be honest ill be happy if a cheapo chinese knockoff lasts a year or 2. I am however not happy with an expensive german built premium unit that doesn't last long.
I would bet you get a year or more out of the SunSun. Just not something I would buy again. Too bad about the Eheim. I love them. I think this stuff gets to be like a lot of things and you become brand loyal to one or the other.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I love my eheim classic 2260 for two reasons - great quality build and replaceble pump (no need to be original).. every other canister has this one prob that when pump goes to hell, you need to change whole head (usually, there are some exceptions tho)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
A friend had that canister a while back, but i dont think its called a sunsun here in the uk. It was decent, held good amount of media and was very cheap, less than £35. But it leaked alot, and was a pain to prime. But that wasnt till a few months later. He said it was ok but wouldnt buy it agian(he bought a brand new fluval 306 to replace the cheapy can and after about 6 weeks the fluval went on permanent strike refusing to pump anything more than a trickle) Tbh every canister is different, some lastlonger than others, a lfs uses the cheap cans aswell and hasnt had a problem in over a year.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store