Does the thickness of an acrylic top brace matter?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Building an 8x4x2 acrylic tank, but only having the water level at 18-20" so my aro quits smashing his head. My plan is 1/2" sides, a 3/8" bottom (as it will be well supported), and a 1/2" full sheet top. However given the estimate I just received, I can save about $100 if I go with a 3/8" top. Would this change affect the safety of the tank? And if so can you please explain why.

My thinking is that the brace is going to sit on top of the tank, so the connection, where the brace and the sides meet, will still be 1/2" thick. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sure does matter...the top piece/brace is often the most overlooked and underbuilt piece of an acrylic tank. The top sheet should actually be thicker than the rest of the tank or atleast the same because this is where most of the pressure/stress of the walls ends up going for example 3/4" walls 1" top. I do not recommend skimping on the bottom using 3/8" either. Bottom will be o.k. in 3/8" but 1/2" would give u alot stronger base to hold the walls up. 3/8" cracks pretty easily. U can laminate ur own sheets together with weld on #40 to make a greater thickness but for that cost u may as well use the appropriate material from the start. Its not that cost saving to build ur own full acrylic tank. U can prob find a mfg. That will send u one for not much more and better quality. If you want a 4'x8' on a budget i recommend using one piece of acrylic for the front of a plywood build or searching for used/scrap materials locally.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I was actually waiting for your input wednesday13 lol point taken about the top brace. The acrylic is going to cost between 1500-2000, so saving 100 isn't really making a huge impact. I just thought If the brace could be smaller, then why not save the money. You are also suggesting the bottom be thicker as well? Similar reason?

It would cost a hell of a lot more than $2000 to get a tank built here in alberta. Probably closer to 5000. lol

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I was actually waiting for your input wednesday13 lol point taken about the top brace. The acrylic is going to cost between 1500-2000, so saving 100 isn't really making a huge impact. I just thought If the brace could be smaller, then why not save the money. You are also suggesting the bottom be thicker as well? Similar reason?

It would cost a hell of a lot more than $2000 to get a tank built here in alberta. Probably closer to 5000. lol
Ahh...didnt realise u were in canada, u can get one made for 1500-2k round these parts but even thats outta my price range lol. You can get away with the 3/8" on the bottom but like u said for an extra 100 y not use the 1/2". The bottom isnt as important as the top so id def. Keep the top in 1/2" atleast. Fixing broken acrylics aint all that fun, believe me lol... it will bow pretty good even in 1/2" but thats expected and will hold just fine with ur 2' height and a solid top sheet/brace. Id keep the top sheet as intact as possible, maybe 2'x2'-3' holes for lids or as small as you feel u can get away with to still acess the tank. Any ideas for glue? Solvent or epoxy? Either will work in 1/2", the solvent def takes some practice and is worth buying some extra scrap for to do so. Joints/seams too tight and ull get dry spots...joints too loose and u get bubbles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I just met a MFK member yesterday who is building his own 480 gallon tanks and he said if he does them 2 at a time it only cost him about $1,750 for both of them or $1,000 for one.. He said for 1 he has to buy 4 sheets of acrylic but if he builds 2 at a time he only buys 7 sheets!! The tanks are 8x4x2 and 1/2" thick and I think that is a great deal for a brand new 480 gallon acrylic tank!! He had 2 he built last year and they still looked great no kind of bowing or anything and 2 more that he is building now, He said there is a place in Columbus Ohio that sells the acrylic for $350 for a 4x8 sheet.. if you look on here in the stingray media lounge you will see them, he has a few videos on there of the tanks and his rays that he breeds and sells... One of the best set ups I have ever seen!!!

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Prices here are around the same. 350-400 per sheet. I will require 4 sheets and if you add the cutting fees (as I don't want to risk cracking the sheet), it comes to around 1500-1700. I am going to use Weldon 4. I am planning on cutting 4 holes. Three up front and one big thin one in the back in order to do maintenance.

wbconnor

Feeder Fish
Jan 28, 2016
Hijacking, sorry. I'm looking for advice on how thick acrylic I should get for a top brace. I'm trying to fix my 120g glass aquarium's cracking top brace by adding an acrylic brace protector over top of the existing top brace. I was thinking about going with 1/8"x2"x24" acrylic strip with 1/8"x3"x3" end caps + some added pieces on the end caps to increase bonding the cap with the strip.

The inspiration article
The crack and temporary bracing with clamps
My rough plan for an acrylic brace protector

Can I go with 1/8" or should I go thicker? I'd really like to keep it under 1/4" if possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store