I'm done with canisters

So i've come to realize that because of the trouble of servicing canisters, and having them properly seal, i'm all but done with using canisters.

I'm sticking to hobs, internals and sumps, but cans, though I love the thought of them, i'm so done.

It doesn't matter the brand.

Leaky nitrate factories, they be. If you have the patience to service them properly, more power to ya. But for me - forget it.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I've had my API XP leak once in the 6 years I've used it and it was an error on my part. I didn't seat the cap to the body of the canister properly. The only thing I will agree with you is yes, they can be nitrate/biomass factories if they aren't cleaned frequently and dependent on your bioload. In the 6 years it's gotten a fresh impeller and that's it.

I'll probably replace it soon because I'd imagine the motor is losing it's power from running 6 years nonstop.

For me wet dry sump > can > HOB > internal.

For me Sump>HOB>Internal> Can.

I keep goldfish, and I need convenience when it comes to filter maintenance. Cans are anything but convenient.

But don't get me wrong, i love the idea of them.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Not sure how you could encounter such issues w cans but badluck is prone to hit anyone. I've used cans and hobs together and consistently have more issues with the hobs where the cans just give me extra work once a month.

My hob needs new microfilter every 2 days but that's a bio load issue and is a 3 minute change.

End of the day, do what's works for ya.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Every time I see one of these Threads like this the first thing that comes to mind is if you are too lazy to take care of your fish and filters you should not be keeping fish!!! It is not a easy hobby and I'm sure you will never find anyone to say it is, so if you want to do it put the extra work in and do it the right way!!!

Show me a HOB filter that has the flow or cleaning power of a FX5 and then I will agree with you but until then canister filter are by far the best to use in most cases other then a big sump!! Just my opinion!!

Every time I see one of these Threads like this the first thing that comes to mind is if you are too lazy to take care of your fish and filters you should not be keeping fish!!! It is not a easy hobby and I'm sure you will never find anyone to say it is, so if you want to do it put the extra work in and do it the right way!!!

Show me a HOB filter that has the flow or cleaning power of a FX5 and then I will agree with you but until then canister filter are by far the best to use in most cases other then a big sump!! Just my opinion!!
I've been in the hobby for 35 years almost, I ain't quitting now! :) LOL.

Lazy? not really. But I need to be realistic. I already spend 45 minutes per day in my fishroom. I've found that my HOBs do a good job without the cans.

I think a can would work well in my fishroom if it were filled with bio-max, and then prefiltered with a sponge on the intake, otherwise they fill up with crap quick. So do HOBs, but i find cleaning HOBs to be a faster and easier job, which again is important if you have multiple tanks.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I think a can would work well in my fishroom if it were filled with bio-max, and then prefiltered with a sponge on the intake, otherwise they fill up with crap quick. So do HOBs, but i find cleaning HOBs to be a faster and easier job, which again is important if you have multiple tanks.
Trust me brother I know what you mean about the time.. I have 17 tanks running right now and it takes me most of the day on Saturday Sunday and sometimes Monday to do water changes and clean filters!! But I still love my can filters for my big tanks.. I do have a lot of HOB filters as well but I only use them on small tanks and fry tanks... I love the Aquaclear HOB filters because I buy all of my media in bulk so I can put it in media bags and use them in them... I hate the filters that use the cartridge that slides in because they cost so much to replace and not easy to make yourself!!! I started with a AC mini and AC 30 for my fry tanks and fell in love with them, now I have (2) 30's (3) 50's and (5) 70's and love them!!! And I will agree with you all day they are a lot easier to take care of then the canisters are because you don't have to unhook the hoses then get the filter open then try to close it and get it to seal again with no leaks... But I just see that as part of the job!!

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I don't know how long it took you to reach this point, but what took you so long? I've never liked canisters.
I was sad not to see ugf in your list though...

you obviously aren't familiar with Redearsunfish. I can say negative things about his choice of fish, but never about his fishkeeping. perhaps you should research his work before going on a rant about him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store