cloudy water help.

duongsta4o9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
USA
My 125g tank has been cloudy for some time now. My water has went from good test to bad. I have a nitrate tester and it reads the highest results possible, 100. Also my ph has went down to the lowest. 6.2. It is not filtration cause i just installed the fluval fx6 with zeo carb bags running along with fluval 405.

Whats the safest easiest way to get a better water going? Ill try to do 25% water changing every few days as of now and thinkng of putting some dolomite rocks or seashells in filter to raise PH

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I would do complete testing before trying to change the pH.

1) what are your ammonia and nitrite readings
2) what is the pH of the water from your tap (or well). Test that by taking water out of the tap and placing it into a open bucket, give the water some vigorous stirs over the course of 24 hours or add an air stone, then test it.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am scared to post less slammed, cloudy water is ussualy a sign of a bacteria bloom do to ammonia in the water. do you have a test kit such as a API Master Fresh water test kit? strips are useless IMHO. changing your filter may have sent you into a mini cycle. I personally would do fin level water change every other day. dose the tank with prime/safe before adding new water for size of tank, not weater replacing and keep testing till you come up with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I would not touch the filter. again this is what i would do, others opinions may defer

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I am scared to post less slammed, cloudy water is ussualy a sign of a bacteria bloom do to ammonia in the water. do you have a test kit such as a API Master Fresh water test kit? strips are useless IMHO. changing your filter may have sent you into a mini cycle. I personally would do fin level water change every other day. dose the tank with prime/safe before adding new water for size of tank, not weater replacing and keep testing till you come up with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. I would not touch the filter. again this is what i would do, others opinions may defer
That is true. Which is why I don't touch my filters until a week after my water change since I do water changes every 2 weeks. If you do a water change and clean the filters it could cause a mini cycle.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
There's cloudiness from ammonia problems/tank cycling. Then there's cloudiness from a bacteria bloom (water looks cloudy gray). And there's cloudy from an algae bloom ( water is cloudy green).

Post pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings from an API liquid test kit. Test tank water readings and tap water readings.

You post that, and 50 people here can tell you exactly what's happening and what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Don't try to alter water pH without a lot of information about water chemistry first. It's really hard to do well.

Beer brewers traditionally have invented beer styles to suit the water available rather than alter water chemistry. That's saying a lot since most of what's in beer is water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store