smallest, most easy to come by rays

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey you crazy ray folk,

So...I'm toying with this idea in my head for down the road. I want to set up a south american tank possibly and if possbile I'd like to incorporate a ray or two.

First, I know they need a large tank, with at least a 3 ft footprint, so no I wont cram one into a 100 gallon.

I would like, however, some advice on the smaller rays available out there. i've read that hystrix (sorry if thats spelled wrong) are some of the smallest, but I'd like some experienced ray keepers opinions on what I should go with.

Thanks!

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Go reticulated. Don't let people talk you out of it either, you'll be fine.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Reticulated are one of the smaller Rays, much more common in the trade, but can also be finicky. Hystrix are also small, but much harder to obtain.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thanks guys! I'll look into them. All the LFS sell around here are motoro...and I'm not trying to put a 3rd super massive tank in my house.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
Hystrix are cool I think of them as a little bull dog ray because of how stalky they get. Retics can be finicky. I succeeded with keeping them but it can be hard. I would start them in a smaller tank so it's easier to watch them and see exactly what's going on and how they are doing. If it were me and I had to choose between the two I would definitely go hystrix 100%. Your life will be easier and they have a cooler pattern then a retic in my opinion. As a matter of fact someone breeding hystrix replied to this thread ;) cough cough spotfin cough cough...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store