Electric Eels

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Shark Aquarium has 6 8pof them I have done research but first hand knowledge is always the best. What's the best way to raise them and do they kill to eat or because to switch to psycho mode like african lung fishl
These have always been a dream fish vut I don't like going in unonformed
Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
As long as you can get an aquarium big enough for a 6-8 ft fish then ur ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
How long are they ones they have? How much do they want for them? I have been looking in to them. Apparently they grow really quick till about 2 ft then grow really slow. From what I have been reading realistically they are not going to get 8 ft long. I was hoping to keep something like tinfoil barbs with them. some thing that will get big and be cheap to replace.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How long are they ones they have? How much do they want for them? I have been looking in to them. Apparently they grow really quick till about 2 ft then grow really slow. From what I have been reading realistically they are not going to get 8 ft long. I was hoping to keep something like tinfoil barbs with them. some thing that will get big and be cheap to replace.
You are right. They won't reach 8ft in a home aquarium but will be 5ft for sure. That's a fish that needs a lot of room.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
The ones I've owned in the past used it for sure for disabling LIVE prey items. We used a voltage meter to test for that info I gave. In my opinion, they can sense when something live is introduced into their environment. They didn't shock when the item offered was dead 99% of the time. When the live prey item was introduced, we started getting readings almost immediately. It knew the fish, crayfish, tadpole, ect...was dropped into the aquarium. It was like it was using
ing small jolts of electricity to home in on the prey item. It also shocked
somewhat harder if the prey item stopped moving for a minute. In our opinion, that was to make the prey item move again so that it was easier to find. Finally when it got close, it used a large shock to disable the prey item right before it sucked it into it's mouth. Sometimes there was a follow-up shock once the prey was in its mouth or when the eel had spit it out to get the prey item turned to the easiest position to swallow it. Sometimes I use a wire coathanger that has been sharpened as a feeder stick. The eel knew instantaneously when the wire coathanger was put into the tank and moved back farther into its hiding place. They seem to use the "juice" rather sparingly for the most part. The only time they seem to go all out is when youcaught them in the net. That's when you gotta watch out!!! Small ones aren't terrible, but I wouldn't want to be hit by one over about 18-24". I'm pretty sure that shock would be pretty high voltage and painful or "shocking" at the very least,Lol!!! Thanks.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Also, good luck with the Tinfoil Barbs. They will be eaten or killed quickly, as this fish doesn't like neighbor's. It's kinda like Aba Aba, some species of piranhas, Aimara Wolffish, and other really territorial species of fish. It's just really hard ,or dang near impossible for them to allow tankmates. Especially when the lights go out. It's best just to make the tank a nicely decorated, planted species tank that has lots of driftwood and places for the eel to hide. Then just enjoy feeding time, because other than coming up to get a gulp of air or when food is offered, you're not gonna see your little lethargic buddy very often. Just enjoy the eel for what it is. Adding tankmates will in my opinion make the eel a little bit more active, but honestly, you're just throwing money away and killing the fish you add to the tank for sport. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store