Water Change Question

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
I have two large tanks. I do a 50-75% water change weekly depending on food/waste/etc. That takes a good amount of time since I go with the syphon and bucket method. would there be an issue if I do a 10% daily water change instead? Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I think I remember seeing a thread where someone tested both of the above. I'm quite certain the large water change turned out to be more effective

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I try to change between 20%-30% daily, depending on the season (in summer the water changes are usually larger because old water empties straight to the garden, and pond), and along with pothos and papyrus in sumps, my nitrates stay between 2-5ppm.
I find moderate daily water changes to be less stressful than large ones, as the pH has less time to fluctuate.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My best advice besides a water changer would be a decent sized submersible pump 300gph+ and a run of 20 or 30ft tubing. It was inexpensive and a huge time saver for me.

I dont even use my water changer (python style) to drain my tanks any more. The pump just basically helps start and maintain a siphon.

The pump with a long hose will reach the kitchen sink, the bathtub, a window, an outside door anywhere I want based on where the tanks are.

Just doing this cut my maintenance time in half.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Why not just buy the python or Aqueon water changer or make your own?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 python is your answer. the harder something is to do, the less likely we are to do it. or do correctly. and lets face it, packing buckets sucks. do your self a favor, and your fish and pick one up. as for water change schedule I do fin or 90% water changes every week, I suggest getting a API master Fresh water test kit, this will let you know what your water changes need to be at. at 20ppm nitrate, water change time.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if python not in the budget, can get a water bed fill kit for allot less and serve same purpose. will need to pick up a 65 cent adapter for the sink.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
+1 on the python. Best $40 well spent. Trust me you'll love it. I didn't get one until I did my very first water change on my 240. After that I said screw it and bought one. I had to make an adapter for my upstairs since but that was cheap.

As far as water changes. It all depends how often you feed them and how much you feed your fish. Ohh and also how much stock you have in your tanks. I have a 30 and a 120 gallon. I do water changes on those once every 2 weeks but I don't feed my fish everyday and I try not to overfeed them. It seems to me if you do water changes every day I would think you might throw the tank into a mini cycle or have a high chance of it. Been doing it for the past 2 years and have not run into any problems or sick fish.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store