I am very confused about coraline algae

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I have a 40g that I am going to convert to saltwater and I know how to make the DIY rock and how to cure it.After I cure it do I just put it in a saltwater tank with nothing in it and it will start growing coralline algae and stuff or do I need to add coralline algae and then it will spread? Can I just put a piece of porous concrete chunk from outside and it will start growing stuff on it without anything added? I am confused if it will grow on its own or if I need to buy stuff because I had a salt tank sit for a long time before with rocks in it and they did not grow stuff on them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure what you mean by DIY rock but you have to purchase the right kind of live rock which has the different coral polyps and tiny bits of algae deep within it.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
DIY live rock is where you take some cement mixture and put aragonite or oyster shells in it and shape it into a rock shape you want and then cure it and it is supposed to turn into live rock or something when you let it sit in your tank for awhile and I don't know if I am supposed to add frags and algae for it to come alive or if it does it on its own.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I do add a coralline booster in my tanks occasionally. It is up to you if you want to.

Regarding seeding the rock- you should get a nice pice from a good Lfs that cures it for at least 30 days hopefully more to seed the other rock. The more live you get the faster it will spread to the other did rocks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I do add a coralline booster in my tanks occasionally. It is up to you if you want to.

Regarding seeding the rock- you should get a nice pice from a good Lfs that cures it for at least 30 days hopefully more to seed the other rock. The more live you get the faster it will spread to the other did rocks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What do you mean add a piece?Add a frag or live rock?I don't know were to get live rock nearby that isn't expensive.Maybe craigslist will help me out.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
What do you mean add a piece?Add a frag or live rock?I don't know were to get live rock nearby that isn't expensive.Maybe craigslist will help me out.
Add a small piece of rock or add anything that is seeded with bacteria to spread.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store