How to catch a stingray, and not get stung!

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
So... I'm moving to a new home the weekend of Feb. 1. Having to move a total of 5 tanks is, in and of itself, a daunting task, especially the 210, since the current house has no walkout basement. Big fun. But what concerns me most, is how am I going to catch my male hystrix stingray, to transport him to the new house, without getting stung or stressing him too much. Anyone with experience catching a stingray can give me some advice? Not looking for a hospital trip while moving! And yeah... kinda nervous about it. LOL... thanks in advance.

-Rich

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Get a rubber fishing net with fairly large holes. A non mesh net. And carefully guide him in there and transport him. A mesh net will get his barb stuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Best way if he is 10" or smaller is to use a shallow tub. Guide him into tub and lift tub out of water. They stay really calm because they never leave water. I scoop my bigger ones with a net because they are big and I have no choice. Most rays are not happy when you lift them out of water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just watch out sometimes they can try to jump out of the tub. I prefer a net myself. The rubber nets are great and since your going to have the ray long term would recommend you make the investment now and get one. But moving the ray in a storage bin works great.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Best way if he is 10" or smaller is to use a shallow tub. Guide him into tub and lift tub out of water. They stay really calm because they never leave water. I scoop my bigger ones with a net because they are big and I have no choice. Most rays are not happy when you lift them out of water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This will work. You might want to use a container that has a lid, and put the lid on it as soon as you get the Ray in it. Ray might come flying out of a shallow container as you lift it out of the tank.

I have used large fish bags in the past to get Rays out of tanks. Sink the bag underwater and guide the Ray into it.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Shallow container with lid works great. Have used this method numerous times with no stress. All the way up to 14" rays.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Okay... so I'm definitely going to find a rubber net, but I also like this shallow container idea. Assuming I used the shallow container, my concern is freaking him out and causing him to sting me. Are there some sort of thick rubber gloves of some sort I can use while doing this, to act as protection in the event he tries to sting me? I saw some elbow length aquatic gloves. Are these thick enough to withstand the stinger, just in case? He is only about 6" or so across his disk. So not a real big guy just yet. I want to cause him as less stress as is possible, and protect myself from getting stung as well as possible. I respect the animal, and don't want to get cute. As usual, thanks for all of the great advice, guys!

-Rich

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I had some thick leather welders gloves and vest/apron as well as wrapped my arms with a few pairs of jeans. was scared being my first move of a 24 inch ray, but still made it. I prefer not to move it again though.

I have not bought a big rubber net yet as I have no plans to move it, but will be getting one. I used a plastic laundry tub to scoop it out but was too hard as the tub will be heavy with the ray and water on it. You can drill holes on some section to release unwanted water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store