Best Monster Fish

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello, I am thinking about setting up a grow out tank of about 180 gallons or so (I'm looking to buy a tank so I'm assuming that's a good grow out size.) What are the absolute best monster fish you guys can think of based off experience or what you've heard? I've kept several monster fish before, so I have some experience. Any suggestions as to what fish or several fish would be good choices? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2014
massachusetts
I've never kept any real monsters. But from what I've read it seems like not much can compete with piranhas.

If your looking at cichlids it seems that Jaguars are a good "bang for the buck". What kinds of fish are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I was leaning more towards Amazonian fish. Maybe like an Amazon community tank with peacock bass and such or even like a prehistoric tank with bichirs and catfish? I have no clue just thought I'd see what everyone's favorite monster fish were. Thanks.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Hello, I am thinking about setting up a grow out tank of about 180 gallons or so (I'm looking to buy a tank so I'm assuming that's a good grow out size.) What are the absolute best monster fish you guys can think of based off experience or what you've heard? I've kept several monster fish before, so I have some experience. Any suggestions as to what fish or several fish would be good choices? Thanks.

Your stock of monster fish will largely depend on the size tank you ultimately have.

With a 180 grow-out, what size are you looking to upgrade to?

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Peacock bass, silver aros, RTC. If you plan on having a pond that's full blown massive, arapaima. But don't get a Pima or RTC until the pond is done. Wouldn't take them long to outgrow a 180.

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I plan on creating a pond based on the fish that I end up growing out so I don't know what size yet I would make it. Thanks.

Well then If size is no matter. I say go Arapaima and RTC. Some of the most hearty and fun fish to watch. Heavy eaters so have heavy filtration. And I'd say a minimum 10,000 gallon pond.

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone, and if I were to get a peacock bass, what species is the best as far as colors as well as size (the bigger the better.) Are they the azul peacock bass? Thanks.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Peacock bass, silver aros, RTC. If you plan on having a pond that's full blown massive, arapaima. But don't get a Pima or RTC until the pond is done. Wouldn't take them long to outgrow a 180.
I think the bigger consideration here is hows he going to winter the fish? If its an indoor pond he needs floor space to accomodate a pond big enough to fit those monsters.

an aro or bass would be about the only feasable option I see if these fish are pond-bound.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
If you wanted to do a prehistoric tank that would be manageable in a 180 for a while you could try my dream tank: Silver Aro, Royal Clown Knife (or golden clown knife), South American Lungfish, 2 FL Gars, and an Ornate Bichir or two. Now the Aro and the Knife will most certainly outgrow the 180, but not in the first 18 months.

This is the second time I've suggested this tank. One day, I'll set it up myself....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store