Tig and jur cohabitation: what are realistic expectations?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ok guys, let's hammer this one out. This pops up fairly regularly and it deserves to have a community consensus. This thread applies to t+j, t+t, and j+j.

Whenever people bring up the subject of cohabbing these fish, a wide variety of opinions crop up, similar to the old juruense vs. sp. flash zebra debate. Let's examine this subject objectively and further the knowledge base of the hobby.

I, personally, have only ever kept a juruense, and I never mixed her with another pim. She was very aggressive toward other bottom dwellers however.

This subject has a personal appeal to me because as I prepare to move again and have another tank set up, this is a dream combo for me.

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Most cats are territorial. I have kept both. I have also kept my current tig in with a sailfin cat in a very large tank and they still crossed paths and mixed it up resulting in torn fins and streamers. For me personally I would only keep one perfect specimen in a tank rather than 2 torn up ones

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My personal expectation is that it would take an extremely large tank, like aged fish grown out from roughly the same time and a healthy dose of good luck.

I know that a few people have had success with this combo in reasonable sized tanks and I'd like to know what they did so I can emulate their results.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very few cats get along in general even in same specie groups....ime its better to have one solo specimen per tank or a half dozen or more together to spread the agression out between the group whether it be one species or a mix. Even in large groups, the weak/small are often singled out and beat to death or eaten....2 together is asking for a fight imo especially in any scenario youve listed... txt,jxj, or txj. Granted theres exceptions to every rule and ive seen both species housed together in larger quarters 4'x8',10'x3',7'x14' so in the end its always a gamble but not completly unrealistic. Id set up a territory/hide on opposite sides of the tank and hope for the best when trying two. In general i do not keep my "show" cats with any other inhabitants at all so im a bit bias, but it ensures their safety as most are actually timid and get picked on in a typical monster community setting. My tig hand feeds in a tank alone, stays calm and active. If hes put with any other fish, he becomes timid, flighty (glass banging), and slows feeding. My final solution for you is to set up 2 tanks side by side on one stand lol...keep both cats nice and classy, dent free with full streamers... :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I would agree that most species of catfish are naturally very aggressive when it comes to being territorial. When you mix two large cats like this your gonna need space and lots of it. I have also never kept tigs but from what I gathered, mixing them with jurenese is a bad combo.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've never personally kept either but I got a summer job at the Pittsburgh aquarium this past summer and I'm pretty good friends with their amazon keeper. They have a 18"ish tig in a tank with a TON (around 40-50) striped raphs and and some L191s and I never noticed aggression in that tank. However that's not to say that it wouldn't fight with other Brachyplatystoma species or even any other Pimelodids if it were to be placed in a tank with them.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I know cats are territorial but my big tig tolerates rays with no problems
But it hated a lince cat and would attack every time it passed which was very often with a lince

I think a jurence with beat a tig up as adults as they are a more bulky fish

Tigs don't do much normally they just lay around looking cool they even know they are the best looking cat on the planet I don't think it's worth stressing them out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Most cats are territorial. I have kept both. I have also kept my current tig in with a sailfin cat in a very large tank and they still crossed paths and mixed it up resulting in torn fins and streamers. For me personally I would only keep one perfect specimen in a tank rather than 2 torn up ones
I agree with John on this one... and if it didn't work in his 10x4 i doubt it will work anywhere... I have an 18ish tig and tried a similar size sail-fin to no avail... it was the thrilla in manilla as soon as the sail-fin settled in. After a week of torn fins and a very unhappy tig (he was there first so i could tell it wasn't right) I gave the sailfin away. I always push the envelope on what can be kept together but this one probably is not good for the long run.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Darn, you guys are confirming my supposition on this. I was really hoping that someone would tell me that it could work, if... lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store