Reticulated stingrays

dutchbro14

Feeder Fish
Dec 23, 2014
wa
first off i would just like to introduce myself to the forum, ive been stalking for awhile but finally decided to make a account today
used to dabble in saltwater nano reefs. currently own a 40 gallon cichlid grow out tank, all fish are under 4 inches for now the fish are good, but my question lies in the fact im upgrading for xmas. were getting a larger tank which was initially going to be for mbuna but ive had some questions

ive look at Reticulated stingrays and have yet to find a reliable care guide or site, any links for this specific species?
since i havent been able to find any care guides, i dont know what a healthy AND minimum tank size would be for this species. i hear most rays need ponds, but these guys are smaller, what would i be looking at dimension wise? second, how would mbuna do with a fish like this?

just trying to see my options on such a beautiful fish, thanks everyone

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
From the sticky on stingray profiles

Potamotrygon Reticulata

Common Names: Reticulated River Ray, Teacup Ray, Colombian Ray

Distribution: Magdalena and Atrato Rivers, Colombia

Maximum Size (Disc Width): appx. 14"+, females get larger.

*Note: P. Magdalenae have elongated tails, total length adult: 30".
This is considered one of the 3 smallest Freshwater Stingrays.

Juvenile Tank Footprint: 48"x18"

Adult Tank Footprint: 72"x30"

Feeding Habits: P. Reticulata tend to very finicky eaters, especially when juvenile. They tend to only eat small live foods, such as ghost shrimp and blackworms for the first few months in captivity. Once acclimated, they can be weaned to other small prepared foods.

Info: Potamotrygon Reticulata is one of the most common and mis-identified stingrays in the aquarium hobby. Often Exported and Imported as 'Teacup' Stingray, a generic term used for a juvenile stingray with no identification. This species is more prone to becoming neglected during shipment, and being of very poor quality once acclimated in a local fish store. Parasites are a very common secondary infection due to stress and improper husbandry while at distributorships. P. Reticulata come in a number of different color variants and patterns. Both geographical variations will be noted in the photo gallery, as their is still much confusion to the identification of this particular species. It is believed that their are actually 2 seperate sub-species of P. Reticulkata, with names such as 'Red Reticulata, Potamotrygon sp. "Red", and Colombian Red Ray."

R.S Rosa recently hypothesized that P. Reticulata is synonymous with Potamotrygon Orbignyi, and should be classified as such. Hobbyists have noted some morphological differences in what seems to be 2 separate sub-species, such as the tail structure varying from one specimen to the next. It is near impossible to use these physical characteristics in home aquaria as defining parameters in the variations, due to shipping damage of the tail structure. Other defining characteristics in the variations have been noted as well, including the pattern and coloration on the underside of one P. Reticulata, while this characteristic is unfound in some other varieties of P. Reticulata.

Stingrays are great... the best fish out there but definately not with africans.. ditch them

dutchbro14

Feeder Fish
Dec 23, 2014
wa
well that pretty much means no ray for now lol...still just gonna go for the mbuna tank. maybe the ray will come sometime after college
thanks though, ill deff consult with the mbuna build and post pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store