Anybody use Purigen?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I was thinking about buying some. For you all that do use it are all the reviews right about it making water crystal clear? I have a dirted tank that's been setup for close to two months and even with water changes twice a week I can not cut back the tannins very much. I guess for $8 it wouldn't hurt to try. Just thought I would get some info from the users on here if there are any. And also if anyone uses it in a planted tank does it hurt your plant growth any?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Been using Purigen for a few years now, definitely clears up the water as long as it is charged (not a miracle worker but I like it more than carbon) and I haven't noticed any ill effects on having it in a planted tank.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've used Chemi Pure (regular not elite) to pull out tanins. It works wonders.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've used Purigen to remove wood stains from water. It's more trouble than it's worth if you ask me.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I added about 250ml to my FX5 yesterday. So far I really haven't seen much difference but my water was pretty clear to begin with. I mainly added it in hopes of it controlling my Nitrates between weekly water changes.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I added about 250ml to my FX5 yesterday. So far I really haven't seen much difference but my water was pretty clear to begin with. I mainly added it in hopes of it controlling my Nitrates between weekly water changes.
I read that it does wonders for nitrates and such. Let us know how it does!

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Cloudy water like that is caused by something that Purigen won't fix. Dirty canisters, something in the substrate, bacterial bloom, overfeeding, etc.
I just want clear water finally lol. This is how bad it looks.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Cloudy water like that is caused by something that Purigen won't fix. Dirty canisters, something in the substrate, bacterial bloom, overfeeding, etc.
It's from the dirt under the sand. It's a dirted tank. I've read on the planted tank that it'll clear the dirt tannins out. I'm just going to try it. If it doesn't work in there I'll throw it in my sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store