How are your water changes automated?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Just want to see what people are doing to automate their water changes. I am sure there are some awesome setups out there. Drips? float valves? timers? etc

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Gravity. Drip line. Filter. I'm waiting on testing kit from filter guys right now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Check out our Articles forum. I basically copied Li's setup, plus additional sediment filters before the Chemilizer. And a backflush valve at the waste pipe.

HarleyK

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Drip system run off battery operated timer. 2gph drippers in, sump drains or hob drains out depending on the tank setup. Dual carbon blocks after a sediment filter.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
JC--

The carbon block and sediment filters, they just remove particles and chloramine? They don't remove calcium and minerals from water that I might want to buffer pH? Right?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
JC--

The carbon block and sediment filters, they just remove particles and chloramine? They don't remove calcium and minerals from water that I might want to buffer pH? Right?

Correct. Not very effective at removing minerals and salts but great for chlorine and chloramine depending on the block selected.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
How long do your filters last? How much do you drip? I just ordered today from filter guys, the "3 stage" system, with a 40 GPD regulator? He said I'd be changing filters every 2-3 months? Does that sound about right? How do you know they need to be changed? I don't want the carbon blocks to wear out and the tap water poison my tank. :)

Correct. Not very effective at removing minerals and salts but great for chlorine and chloramine depending on the block selected.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
anyone using float valves, timers and such?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
This is the first one I've ever done. I'm staying away from floats and timers--too much room for error, and I travel a lot for work. But, if the filters get too much or too expensive to change all the time, I'd certainly consider a dose pump and prime instead of filtering tap water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store