Red Pike Cichlid

DaytonAquariumPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I tried to search breeding forum but keep getting an error message, so sorry if this is a common or already posted thread but I have a good number of red pike cichlids coming in next week and want to start breeding at least one pair. Any advise or things to do different from other cichlids? Also I was told buy the seller that Type 1 red pikes are the more extreme red of the species so thats what I ordered, is there a difference between type 1 and 2 or is this something that the seller has made up?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Getting pikes to breed a rarity I havent heard of anyone getting pikes from the lugubris group to breed and produce fry like the atabapo I you have just ordered. You need tannins in the water.

Atabapo ii are the hardest to keep and easily get HITH. They get red much later in life, more of a darker red to maroon than the atabapo i

FishareFriends2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Chicago Illinois
Yea, I have not heard of anyone spawning them in the states. I have three right now at around 7 inches and two have paired off. Once they get to be about a foot I will be tweaking water parameters to see if I can encourage spawning.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I've spawned a couple of smaller Crenicichla species. Pm me if I can help you. I have a few tricks that might help you ,maybe. Been 20 years ago since I spawned them though. Thanks.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Someone has bred atapabo 1 on US. However, I don't have the name. I just know it is possible and has been done

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My buddy mike zebrowski did. His male killed his female after he sold it and I thought about buying his lone male but decided against it its a nice fish but has some hith now

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store