Cycle Problem.....Eheim 2262

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi All,

I am having a cycle problem, I have had my tank running for 3 weeks now, I have Eheim 2262, a sponge and a moving bed with Hel-X media.

The tank is 3x18x18, so 200l roughly, my canister is loaded with 4l Eheim Mech Pro, a medium sponge, then 11l Marine Pure 1.5 inch spheres.

Side starting the tank, I have kept my UV off, the tank has been running for 3 weeks, and the below picture shows my water stats using API Freshwater Kit.

Also I should also say I did a 75% water change 4 hours before these stats were taken.

uploadfromtaptalk1419412939005.jpg

Can anyone advise?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I advise to move those fish until those numbers come down to manageable levels.

You are going to have to keep up with water changes if your nitrates are that high, but as stated above, those results are probably off due to the water change you did. You are just going to have to let the bacteria build up more in that system. Try using bottled bacteria, it does wonders.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Patience.

What are you planning to stock the tank with? A whale? That's crazy biofiltration, even for MFK standards...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Throw in some tetra safe guard. You will need a steady amonia source though. I always use giant danios

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Nothing wrong with having more than enough filtration in my book
It's a 50 gal tank ... At some point it's simply crazy. There's nothing wrong with crazy! If the OP wants to be crazy: cool, go right ahead. We all have some craziness. After all, we are /\/\onsterFishKeepers!

All we're saying is that it's overboard and you would not be able to stock the tank with enough biomass to even use up 10% of the filtration capacity.

What sets MFK apart from other online communities is that we are not only sharing our own tank and admiring other's, egging each other on to go bigger, better, and monster. MFK is also being good peers who help each other out and keep each other grounded. I know I have benefited from many of you here, and there is a level of responsibility involved, so that if a youngster reads this thread they get it in perspective.

That's all. Just my $0.02.

And my original advice still stands: it takes a while to cycle. No matter how much biomedia you pack on a tank.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
It's a 50 gal tank ... At some point it's simply crazy. There's nothing wrong with crazy! If the OP wants to be crazy: cool, go right ahead. We all have some craziness. After all, we are /\/\onsterFishKeepers!

All we're saying is that it's overboard and you would not be able to stock the tank with enough biomass to even use up 10% of the filtration capacity.

What sets MFK apart from other online communities is that we are not only sharing our own tank and admiring other's, egging each other on to go bigger, better, and monster. MFK is also being good peers who help each other out and keep each other grounded. I know I have benefited from many of you here, and there is a level of responsibility involved, so that if a youngster reads this thread they get it in perspective.

That's all. Just my $0.02.

And my original advice still stands: it takes a while to cycle. No matter how much biomedia you pack on a tank.

Sorry for the late reply, i have been doing some upgrades.

I have upgraded the tank to 1 300L 4 foot tank, with a nice stand.

I have removed the moving bed filter, as i read they are nitrate factories. I have replaced it with an inline filter.

I took the outflow from the 2262, and split it to 2/3 going to the spraybar, and the other 1/3 going to the UV, then to an inline filter that has 1Kg Chemzee and 250ml Purigen....the UV is still off.

IMG_20141229_094228.jpg

IMG_20141229_094235.jpg

IMG_20141229_094249.jpg

Thoughts?

thanks for the replies!!! Hope everyone had a great Xmas!!!

@HarleyK I have added some more fish since the tank got bigger, I added a 6 inch clown loach, a Jack Dempsy and a RD Flowerhorn, also I plan on adding 4 Rio Pindare and a Female Festea. Would i still be able to remove some of the marine pure spheres and add some more Mechanical to the actual canister?

Or do you thing Filtration is fine as it is with the new split output?

Thanks

IMG_20141229_094228.jpg

IMG_20141229_094235.jpg

IMG_20141229_094249.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store