tanning?

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
Can someone please explain arowana tanning?

I was on a website that discussed tanning your arowana to improve the red coloration. How is this done? Do you require a special light? Does it work? And will it work for all fish?

I know that is a lot of questions, but this "tanning" completely through me off

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Lots of people use special lights producing the right spectrum to tan the fish, enhancing its natural colour. The lights are normally suspended in the water column so it is a close to the fish as possible. It's a common practice.
Guess it would work on all fish, I can't see why it wouldn't but I am no expert by a country mile

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Don't do it

It's cruel every living thing needs to rest

If a human is subjected to light 24/7 for days it's classed as torched

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I don't think it needs to be on 24/7. Isn't tanning the same effect as putting a regular orange comet goldfish from the tank to the pond. The Orange changes to a bright red when they been outside a while with sunlight.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I don't think it needs to be on 24/7. Isn't tanning the same effect as putting a regular orange comet goldfish from the tank to the pond. The Orange changes to a bright red when they been outside a while with sunlight.

Nope they tan 24/7

They put bright lights on top and even on the front and back tank glass it's cruel

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
its a special submersible tanning light put inside the tank fully submersed to tan and give a fish color but its really pointless as they lose that color if not continuously tanned.
save your money dont buy it and dont do it. if you want better contrast and coloration on your aro try various of different diets as it can drastically help bring out that beautiful
color everyone is looking for and want. live insects such as roaches, live frogs, live centipedes, live worms such as silk and super worms, shrimp, tilapia, hikari or specialized arowana
sticks, massivore, ive heard some even feed it cichild food like hikari cichild gold. you can also gut load every thing you feed your arowana to enhance its diet and overall health.
also direct sun light for few hours a day can also help if your tank is setup by a window. i hope this helped and dont bother with tanning its a serious waste of money.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Reactions: twcp
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store