African Arowana

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I'm about to purchase a 4" african arowana to grow out in a few tanks and add to my 180gallon when it is big enough. I have a larger tank planned that will be unfolding when I finish my ba. I am told that these guys are tough. Anyone have any experience growing one of these out? I was hoping he would sift through the messes my grow out Poly's make, and leave behind, and fill that identical niche in my 180 eventually.

What is their growth rate like?

Is it likely that they will decline massivore for a while?

Any tips to ensure its long term survival and success?

The tank it will start off in has 4, 4-5" delhezi and 1, 5.5" endlicheri. I have a million tanks of various sizes, by the way. All things are going swell with the poly grow out plan.

arowjdm0103

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Datnoidsland
I'm on the same boat as you thinking of getting a afrowana, can they stay with a jardini or single them out. How fast will they grow, I'm still thinking between a albino silver or a afrowana. What's the price range on the afrowana since lfs store here do not carry those but they carry albino and they catch my attention.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
bump

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
When under 6-8" they need to eat almost constantly, only on small foods like brine shrimp and blood worms, and alone to ensure they get the food. I had one a few years back, took a while for him to start accepting pellets. A 180 may get a little snug once it reaches over 24". They move constantly, similarly to a smaller arapaima.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What kind of growth rate do they exhibit? Will they have any issues with Polypterus or Florida gar? I have heard that they can be aggressibe. I am upgrading my tank when I finish my ba in roughly 2 years. I didn't order it yet, as my lfs can get me one. I told him to hold off so that I can research the species more.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Like I said a 4" African aro will not do well with any tank mates. It is hard enough as it is raising them alone. They are very fragile when under 6-8". They need pristine water, and a constant source of food. The growth rate on mine was about an inch to an inch and a half a month.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I'm on the same boat as you thinking of getting a afrowana, can they stay with a jardini or single them out. How fast will they grow, I'm still thinking between a albino silver or a afrowana. What's the price range on the afrowana since lfs store here do not carry those but they carry albino and they catch my attention.
If you put a afro with a jar it will be carnage Afro are just as aggressive as a jar if not more aggressive

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store