Ick in Ray Tank

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
What different methods do you guys safely use to treat Ick in a ray tank? All of a sudden my Geos and Severums have it.

Thanks

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
What different methods do you guys safely use to treat Ick in a ray tank? All of a sudden my Geos and Severums have it.

Thanks
Use a uv at the start and this normal stops ick spreading it may not kill the ick on the fish right away but it will kill it off in it's free swimming stage

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
Use a uv at the start and this normal stops ick spreading it may not kill the ick on the fish right away but it will kill it off in it's free swimming stage

This is what surprises me, I've had the same UV on there for over 2 years, new bulb in June.
How do you think the rays will react to turning the temp up to 88 degrees for several days?

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
IME, heating to 86F, vacuuming the substrate and doing frequent large scale water changes has been an effective Ick treatment. I also used salt at a concentration of 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons. Disclaimer: I've never had rays, so I'm not sure how the salt will effect them. I did however have clown loaches and they all pulled through and are doing great now.

I have read that if you are using the heat method, you should go to at least 86F:

"Above a certain temperature (86°F is often quoted) the heat-sensitive parasite will be stressed. Its life cycle is interfered with, and it might even be killed."

Source: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

Sorry hear the bad news. Ick sucks!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
heat and salt will be fine for the rays

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
This is what surprises me, I've had the same UV on there for over 2 years, new bulb in June.
How do you think the rays will react to turning the temp up to 88 degrees for several days?
The bulb should be changed every 6 months so it was at its end of life

I never add salt but a temp of 88 will be fine as that's what my tank sits at in hot summer

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Salt and raise temp

Salt will take your tds way up though. I crank my drip up and add more salt every day. I use a hydrometer also

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
don't know if rays can tolerate it but if you can get the temp up to 86-87 ich should not be able to reproduce

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store