MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
From the pic it's a Florida. There's a very high chance you will receive a Florida but if not you could sell a true long nose for 3x what you will pay for that one. Either way you win :)

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Unless I get a needlenose gar T.T

I got Delhezi polys when I ordered a handful of endlis to add to a growout tank. I wound up ordering from Bluegrass Aquatics after talking for a while with the owner. I'll post pics on Wednesday when they arrive!

PetSolutionsLive

Feeder Fish
Oct 4, 2012
Ohio
I thought I would drop in a quick response with a little more information, since I was involved in the conversation on the back side at PetSolutions when you asked that question of one of our customer service reps.

According to the info I have, there is no visual way to tell the difference without dissecting the fish and/or performing genetic testing on small fish like these (10 to 12 inch). There may be some morphological way to tell the difference, but none that I have ever seen listed which is current, and the old "common knowledge" ways of telling the difference are considered factually inaccurate these days. The wholesaler sells these as Florida Longnose, and while the rest of us know there is no such beast and that it is either Florida or Longnose (spotted)...these are Asian imports and as far as the wholesaler is concerned, they are Florida Longnose.

This topic of not being able to tell the difference, and that there is no visible physical difference between the two when they are young is a topic which has been covered extensively here on the forums by other members in the past in other threads. The result of all of those conversations, as far as I can tell, have been inconclusive but have corrected the common myths of you can tell by the spots on the fish, or the girth, or the measurement of the snout, or distance between two points etc. The general frame of thought is location the fish were collected is your best bet for determining which one you have, and the Asian imports this doesn't apply to unfortunately since they can be either one or even a hybrid. General consensus seems to be that out of Asia the gars are most likely Florida Gars unless they have hybridized. I can tell you they won't be a needle nose or a gator. :)

Inventory at the moment shows us down to 1 of these right now, and it is committed to an order already. We get the fish from the same seller each time though, so the above will always hold true unless someone can provide me with a way which is 100% accurate on determining whether the fish is one, the other, or a hybrid while it is still alive and without genetic lab testing.

I hope this info helps!

A couple of thread examples on the topic from these forums:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...he-difference-between-florida-and-spotted-gar
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...9inches-23-5cm)&highlight=spotted+gar+florida

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
While you are correct about Florida vs. spotted, longnose are a different species and pretty easy to tell apart from FL/spotted at that size. The picture is not of a longnose.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Can you post a picture, perhaps? I'm still fairly new to gar, but from all the images I have seen in my research the most surefire way to tell a Florida from a longnose is the length and shape of the mouth. Longnose seem to have a much more narrow snout, that is 1.5x longer than a Florida gar. I have also noticed that Florida gar have much larger and more pronounced spots than longnose gar, whose spots are a bit blurry and much less noticable atop their olive tone. There are plenty of gar pros around who can get more specific than that I'm sure.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I had a very similar conversation with them about their gar. They were extremely helpful and honest with me on not knowing which gars they had at that small of a size but its a chance you take when the people the online stores buy from send them a mix of species...at no fault of the online stores of course.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if you have an LFS around you I would ask if they can order gar in for you. Its much easier that way...

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Truth, I see no fault. They keep quite a large number of species too. Up to date pictures would absolutely be helpful, but with so many fish that is probably easier said than done. I would have preferred to order from pet solutions because of their fair prices and reasonable overnight shipping. Just had to be sure, especially now that gator gar are being bred overseas and sold for practically nothing to dealers. I feel like once I purchase a fish, I am responsible for its fate. If I had received gators and had to take them to an lfs I would have been miserable and automatically assumed the gar would wind up in a 40g breeder for life. I still lose sleep over a random convict cichlid that I had to take to an lfs after it began harassing my senegalus and syn angelicus. That was 2 years ago. I hope he's alright.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well rest assured with the knowledge that you more than likely will never received a gator gar from them haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store