Hybrid geophagus brasiliensis and convict.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
So, my Geophagus Brasiliensis and Convict cichlid bred together today. The eggs look good, anybody want to take bets on viability and appearance? I believe that they will be oscar food if they actually hatch and survive.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Maybe, not a fan of hybridization per se, but I really didn't think this would happen.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
So, my Geophagus Brasiliensis and Convict cichlid bred together today. The eggs look good, anybody want to take bets on viability and appearance? I believe that they will be oscar food if they actually hatch and survive.
Did anything happen out of this? I am having a situation where my geo and red devil are trying to breed so while I don't think anything can happen, I'd like to be prepared if it does.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I have always heard that SA and CA cant successfully breed. I'm def not an expert though.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Grow some out!-)

Festae can breed with centrals, not sure of many others, been a case of umbee x parachromis loisiellei

rosieg

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2022
i’ve noticed some interesting looking fish in my pond. It’s a heated Cichlid pond in South Florida. Sorry I just have to say that because people freak out when I say Cichlid pond lol anyway I had two Geos but one died last year, so I know for a fact there is only one. recently I have found a few 3 inch or so fish that have the iridescent fins of the Geo, the stripe through the eyes and across head, and the black spot towards the tail. one of them literally has an all black lower half/tail. They are seriously the coolest looking fish. I know it is 10 years later on this post but if you want any pictures, I’ll try to get some. But I am almost positive they are convict crosses. A lot of them have stripes of varying degrees. And the convicts are always breeding.. always.. all year i see wrigglers and fry.. they stay busy!!

Reactions: Cal Amari
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store