Top tank sumps ! Whos made one or has pics !

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
This popped up a while ago, I saw my buddys uncle with one ! Decided I want to give it a go. I don't think im going to buy a 20 gallon or what ever and do it that way. Im going to buy plexi glass and Make my own custom top of tank sump. I have a rough design in mind, It will be raised so lights can fit under it.

22 long, 16 3/8th back and 21 inches tall.. Raised 4inches so lighting will fit under it. It is going to sit on left side of my tank. Water will start top left go bottom left, moving right up middle dropping down into r right refugium thats planted.

Going to utilize a couple drip pans

Hard to explain but seems good in my mind, Plexi glass and aquarium silicone will be what I used to make the box its self....

It should be good enough for a 125, with the aid of my AC110 on other side of tank.

Pics of your sumps appreciated, especially if they are on top of your tank !

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Plexiglass glass warps with water and temperature. I'd use glass or acrylic

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Use Lexan lighting diffuser for a top. It won't warp from the moisture and is very inexpensive. Hardware stores have it in the office lighting section, likely next to the egg crate you'll be needing for your sump. Cuts just like acrylic when doing score and snap.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Running into all kinds of trouble finding materials, most are seasonal. Going to try a home store and see if I can find "under the bed" totes.

Another issue all my hardware stores are seasonal so no pond pumps or powerheads. Don't want to go to big als n pay 140 for 150 GPH....

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
image.jpgIimage.jpg I run 2.. 1 bio, 1 mech..

I use them on my 500g to save weight since i'm on the eighth floor.. It handles massive amounts of bioload but it isn't pretty..

image.jpg

image.jpg

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Yea I might use a tote, cant find planters. Damn seasonal stores, the hole project is on hold till I get a powerhead or pump for a good price. Not paying a dollar per GPH

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
I bought a small 40 gal stock tank from tractor store so I could bring most of my old media to the new set up as I am changing filter style. I will eventually phase this one out though to replace with planters and plants and do the same on the top tank as well

The pics do not show fish in tanks or media in it as I just moved things over xmas eve

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1419978026161.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store