Having issues with introducing plants to my aquarium

TAiZi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
Singapore
I have tried several plants in substrate and tying to rocks etc but my fish seem aggressive towards them and will rip them free and as a result they always end up destroyed or all over the place. Will floaters work in this case?

Will upload a video later on when i have the time.

TAiZi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
Singapore
kelberis, indo tigers, flowerhorns, rays, jaguar cichlid, american earth eaters, royal plecos

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
Floaters can work if you want a dimmer tank. I've had duckweed before. Hated it. It's so hard to removed all of it once it becomes established. For floaters I'd go with frogbit or dwarf water lettuce, but they'll both send roots down from the top. Frogbit isn't as bad. Sounds like you have some tough stock. In your situation I'd get some anubias (tough thick succulent leaves) and tie the rhizomes/roots on to rock/driftwood with monofilament fishing line. It should attach itself naturally after a month or two. What did you try in the past? What's your lighting like?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Anubias or Java Fern are your best plants for your aquarium, those are good to grow on rock or driftwood and most fishes leave those plants alone, the problem here those plants are slow growing but will look fantastic after few weeks or months.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
frogbit with LED lighting is a very good looking combo in my book. dappled sunlight to a tee. I've been trying to get some good pics of that effect for my next avatar.
you might get away with some anubias, it's tough and will keep coming back even if you only have a chunk of stem left.
you could try java moss. it will grow onto the wood so it should keep coming back as well.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Anubias is very bad tasting for fish. Very few fish will eat it. it's a slow growing plant and has very low light/nutrient requirements. Its one of my favorites.

My African cichlids eventually ate all of it, but it was very resilient. The rhizome had no leaves or roots left but continued to sprout new growth.

Some fish just cant be with plants. My dad had a large tank with silver dollars and large gouramis. We would transfer duckweed from another tank and completely cover the surface. The next morning it was all gone.

Thats why I have fake plants in my cichlid tanks. The focal point of these tanks is the fish. I have a planted tank woth miscellaneous community fish. The focal point of this tank is the plants.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I like to setup a biotope aquariums for any fishes :), I got my biotope Exodon setup and it's look awesome. I'm planning to setup another biotope for my EBJD babies that I bought over last weekend, I still researching for plants that work best on rock and of course anubias and java fern will on the list to have in my EBJD tank. I might have a tought time trying to cover my substrate with ground cover plant cause thier digging habit but i'll try and see whats the out come.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store