Clown loach died with eggs

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I had fish die before with big belles like that I thought they were bound up from to much protein in there diet.Next time that happens I would slit it open and see if it an egg sack or a bacteria infection.What you thought were eggs might have been something else oozing out.clown loaches need a lot of vegetable in there diet not heavy feeding of protein pellets,mix it up

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
clown loaches need a lot of vegetable in there diet not heavy feeding of protein pellets

No they don't. They actually don't require any vegetable matter in their diet.

To the OP .....

Impossible to say with certainty exactly what caused your loaches death without a necropsy performed, but an egg bound female can die from the condition if she is unable to reabsorb the eggs. Sorry that you lost your fish.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In captive Clown loach breeding, LH-RH (Luteinizing hormone - Release hormone) is used to trigger the female to release her eggs, and it appears to be quite successful. (clown loaches are now being successfully bred in Europe, and Florida) Both clown loaches & female yo-yo loaches are known to produce eggs in captivity, but neither will typically release their eggs under captive conditions.

Years ago I owned an adult female yo-yo loach that was gravid to the point that she looked like she was going to burst, yet she had been that way for months & showed no signs of stress. She had a healthy appetite & dominated the 3 adult males that were in with her. Eventually she simply reabsorbed the eggs. Unfortunately your fish may have had an issue with reabsorbing the eggs and it's possible that an internal bacterial infection set in. Just a guess though .....

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
In captive Clown loach breeding, LH-RH (Luteinizing hormone - Release hormone) is used to trigger the female to release her eggs, and it appears to be quite successful. (clown loaches are now being successfully bred in Europe, and Florida) Both clown loaches & female yo-yo loaches are known to produce eggs in captivity, but neither will typically release their eggs under captive conditions.

Years ago I owned an adult female yo-yo loach that was gravid to the point that she looked like she was going to burst, yet she had been that way for months & showed no signs of stress. She had a healthy appetite & dominated the 3 adult males that were in with her. Eventually she simply reabsorbed the eggs. Unfortunately your fish may have had an issue with reabsorbing the eggs and it's possible that an internal bacterial infection set in. Just a guess though .....
I read recently about breeders using HCG to stimulate breeding as it mimics Luteinizing hormone and is cheap and readily available. Have you heard of this RD?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store