New 450 gallon

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
So I purchased a pre drilled 450 gallon acrylic 10x3x2 that has 2 corner overflows inside the tank. I will be picking it up in the next couple weeks. The previous owner has been absolutely awesome giving me time to make moving arrangements on my end. The tank will be going into storage until late spring/early summer while my family and I move. So this tank won't get set up until mid summer.

With all that being said I have some time to figure out filtration. Honestly speaking I have NO experience or knowledge with setting, using or maintaining sumps. The concept is intimidating to me as it seems there's the high potential of flooding. On my current tank (180) I use 2 fx5s and 3 ac 110s and I'm plenty happy with that. So my questions are will 4 fx5 on a 450 be suffice with a couple of well placed high powered power heads or should i continue to research and learn more about sumps? I thought about having someone set it up for me but in the event of something going wrong or even maintaining it I get nervous.

Stock will be 3-4 bass several large Severums and geos a few clown loaches and a couple of pearsei (stock may change)

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You need a sump. You're at no greater risk of a flood with a sump than with a canister. just don't overfill your sump. Test some scenarios out when you build it, mark a few key water levels on a tape on tbe end of your sump, that's it.

Sumps are easier, and they're cheaper than canisters. They CAN be just as quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
On the question of sumps.. what is a good gph to run water from a sump back to 4 different tanks?

Sent from my SM-N910T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
No clue. I have a single tank with a sump for it. My other tank has canisters on it. Multiple tanks, I'd say take a look at your LFS setup. It's there and working and you can actually lay eyes on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I to was unsure of using a sump until a couple years ago. A couple of things I learned, when the pumps shut off water still drains from the tank into the overflow and then into the sump. The sump had to be able to hold this water or you'll have a flood, you can put an over floor drain in the sump to outside and then your sure not to have that problem. The other thing that's different is when using canisters the water evaporates out of the tank, with a sump it evaporates it if the sump the water level in the tank never changes. Try setting it up in the garage or outside first to work out the bugs. Once you've got it figured out you'll be happier with the sump. Given the choice I would always take the sump over the canister.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Sumps FTW! I have a 300 gallon cemtainer I modified into a sump. It runs on 8 - 7"X32" Mechanical filter socks for particulate filters. Needs real service about every 12 months, though its gone longer. I filters a 300 gallon and 180 gallon tank off of one pond pump. I have about 1700 watts for heat in there too, maybe more I can't remember.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
If your really concerned about over flowing it put a overflow run off on it. I have a 1 -1/2" line on my sump that goes to my basement sump and ejects to the yard. I do water changes by adding to the system fresh water and letting old water overflow off and water my yard.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
+1 to getting a sump. It really is a simple concept and should not be intimidating at all. Once you wrap your head around it you will quickly understand that the benefits of a sump greatly outweigh going the multi-canister route. Maintenance on 4x fx5's would be crazy!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Do you need a sump? No. But trust me they're the way to go.
Go sump and have shook hook it up... tank is drilled so the easy part is done...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store