Powerhead Problem, need help ASAP

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had my 30L (36"x12"x16") riffle tank setup for over two months and have been having this problem all along, but it's never been a big deal until now. Every time I do a water change (1-2 times a week) I unplug the powerhead (MJ-900) so as to not break it. Well whenever I replug it in, it's much slower than before I unplugged it and it takes a day or so to get back up to normal speed. Well this time, it's far slower than ever before and it's been over a day since the water change, I haven't seen one bubble come out yet and when I put my hand next to the outtake, the flow is incredibly gentle. This is a problem because one, I have fish in this tank that thrive in fastwater and two, I have fish that need high DO levels which is not being accomplished with the flow going on in that tank now. Does anyone have any idea why his keeps happening and how to fix it before I start loosing fish?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Have you taken it apart? I've found hair, bits of filter floss, and plant debris wrapped around impellers before.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Have you taken it apart? I've found hair, bits of filter floss, and plant debris wrapped around impellers before.
No way anything could get in it, there's a tube leading to a sponge filter under the intake so no solid matter can get in.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Take it apart, clean the volute and impeller.
All it takes is one tiny grain of sand, and it can wear down the impeller, its shaft, or the volute, which in turn can do enough damage to slow, cause cavitation, or any myriad of problems.
Any and every pump/power head needs regular cleaning.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just took it apart tend cleaned everything, although nothing was to dirty or stuck anywhere. Turned it back on and it's working better/stronger than before although there's still no bubbles coming out like there is when it's at full strength. I'll give it until tonight to see if it returns to normal otherwise I'm not really sure what else I'd do to fix it other than to return it.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Taking it in to get serviced for free on Monday, get a free new one it they can't fix it.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
If your water level dips below the Maxi Jets bottom portion that the intake screen attaches to when your doing water changes its air pockets. I've noticed these powerheads are especially prone to this happening when mounted in a normal operating position with the power cord coming out the top.

Just take the power head while submerged before plugging it back in and turn it upside and let the air our.

Hope that helps and saves you a hassle.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If your water level dips below the Maxi Jets bottom portion that the intake screen attaches to when your doing water changes its air pockets. I've noticed these powerheads are especially prone to this happening when mounted in a normal operating position with the power cord coming out the top.

Just take the power head while submerged before plugging it back in and turn it upside and let the air our.

Hope that helps and saves you a hassle.
Tried that now, didn't work, if anything it's actually slower now.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
is your sponge clear? if there's no apparent reason for it to be the pump...
how's it run with just the powerhead, no sponge?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
is your sponge clear? if there's no apparent reason for it to be the pump...
how's it run with just the powerhead, no sponge?
Youre a lifesaver my friend! I rinsed the sponge in tank water and while it wasn't clogged it turns out that the seal between the 1" plastic tube connecting my sponge and the powerhead intake was the key. Oddly enough, there was to be a small gap so that tank water can get it as well to ensure enough water being pumped through it create high flow, simple physics I guess but it stumped me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store