Australoheros sp. red ceibal

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
So, I'm trying to get some information on these guys. I'm having a hard time finding reliable information on these guys. Anyone here have any experience with these guys?
I just ordered a group of 5 juveniles to go in my 75 gallon. They'll be sharing the tank with a group of 6 giant danios, a large pair of angelfish that will be moved when the ceibals get bigger, and a clown pleco and some BN plecos.

I know that they are a cooler water species. While the angels are in there I will keep the tank at about 74-75, when I remove them I might drop it down a few more degrees.

What I'm really wondering is about numbers. When they get bigger would it be better to keep just one pair or one male and a couple females or would a group of mixed genders coexist well? I'm just wondering about long term stocking of these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In winter I keep mine in an unheated basement kiddy pool, where the temp gets down into the 50sF.
I find when then don't get a serious cool down, they become susceptible to fungus, and a host of other stress induced disease. and after a dramatic cool down look much more vibrant.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
You could probably get 2 pair in a 75 when young, and first mature.
I've kept 2 males a 4 females in a 100gal with some other Uruguayan cichlids, though when warm, and when they spawn, they get very territorial, aggressive, and jealous of space, like any other cichlid.

They seem to tolerate extended warmth easier when young, but when males hit the 5+" mark is when the constant warmth gets problematic.

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
I just don't use a heater, They come from the north eastern corner of Uruguay along the Brazil border so it is not as cold in the winter as farther south, Mine never get real cold (60's) and regularly get into he 90's in the summer, (metal building in the southern USA) I have several big males that are at least 6 or 7 years old (wild caught as young adults) Tough fish, easy to bred, they do better in groups to spread out the aggression, especially if you have some pikes or Gymnos with them. Temperament of a Cryptoheros when breeding.

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
I've got mine in with some giant danios right now. As of right now the giant danios are way too fast for the red ceibals. Do you think they'll be alright with them or am I going to start seeing fewer danios as the ceibals get bigger?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I don't really think of ceibals as a piscivore, and use the high altitude Mexican live bearer Xenatoca eiseni as a dither, because Xenatoca can take the cool temps I maintain in the ceibal tanks.
Although the fry seldom survive, the adults hold their own very well, and I doubt the livebearers could come close to the bursts of speed the danios can attain. and are a bit smaller.

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
Ok, so I've had these guys for a few weeks and I didn't think I would be able to sex them this early but there are some noticeable differences between them. I think what I have is 1 dominant male, one subdominant male, and two females. I have one that has gotten noticeably bigger than the other three. He also has a more pronounced forehead than the others. His colors aren't as striking though which from what I've seen, the female's colors tend to be more pronounced (am I wrong about this?). So, that one I'm assuming is the dominant male. I have another one that has the same color patterns as the one I assume to be the dominant male, but it doesn't have a pronounced forehead and is about the same size as the other two that I assume are females. I'm assuming that's just a subdominant male. I have two that are smaller but their colors are significantly darker and they've also developed a dark blue to almost black color under their chin which gets darker when they're interacting with each other. I'm assuming these are females. I've got a couple pictures of the ones that I think are females. Someone please help me out and let me know if I'm on the right track or not. Thanks.

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store