Gars incoming! A few questions

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I officially have two Florida gar on the way! They will be shipped on Tuesday and will arrive Wednesday. I could not be more excited! I have wanted to keep them for years, and now I finally can!

I am preparing for their arrival today. I will be purchasing freeze dried krill, frozen krill, and black backgrounds to wrap 3/4 of my tank. They have the option of starting in a 37g high, and migrating into my 180g, or going straight into the 180 (preferred method, as the 37 grow out is occupied by 5 messy 4.5-5.5" Poly's already). The Poly's will be migrating in the spring, and the 37 will become a grow out tank for 5, 2.5" datnoids.

Here is the 180:
CAM03093.jpg

I have added more plants since. It is occupied by:

11.5" senegalus
10.5" WC Polypterus Lapradei sp. "Faranah"
7.5" Ornatipinnis
8" ornatipinnis
3, 4.5" clown loaches
40+ ghost shrimp (massivore gut loaded)

I plan on trying to keep them on massivore, ghost shrimp, and freeze dried shrimp. I will be wrapping the 180 in a black background tonight. I was thinking they would do well in the 180 because it is so heavily planted, and has plenty of driftwood. Any input there?

Also, what else should I buy while I am out?

CAM03093.jpg

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
for keeping gars , i prefer bare tank with lots of space as they are not particarly maneuvrable fish

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Firstly i applaud you good sir. Its all to often on here we see and hear people impulse buying with no plans on how to properly care for there fish, thanks for not being like that:) on to your tank, go for the 180 straight off the bat, after qt first, as long as the gar arent tiny they will be fine, and there top level fish, so no worries about pissin off the bichirs. Its well planted and will be mostly blacked out to reduce stress so they should settle in fast. As far as food, they may need to be fed live to begin with but should be easy enough to get onto frozen, ie shrimp fish fillets, and when they are knocking back frozen like champs start stuffing it with pellets. Good luck with the gar, i bet under your care theyll do great :)

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
If you havent already check out the sticky on gar husbandry. Depending on the size of the gar the 180 might not work out. Also check out the feeding needs of YOY gar. I believe its in the same gar husbandry thread.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
if they are under 10'', start them out on the 37G. If they are big enough them just put them straight in the 180. Heavy panted tank can be good for the gar as they keep the stress down, as long as you don't feed them live because they will have problem chasing feeder in a tank like that.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks for the feedback guys! Wednesday can't come soon enough!

I won't be feeding live fish of any kind if I can help it. I keep gut loaded ghost shrimp on tap, and will be trying a variety of frozen foods in addition to freeze dried krill and massivore. The long term plan is a primarily massivore/ghost shrimp/silverside/freeze dried krill diet.

The 180 is temporary. I'm upgrading when I finish my ba, or possibly sooner depending on unforeseeable variables. If necessary, I could upgrade next week, but I want to wait until I enter into my career. They will eventually be in a 1000+ gallon tank. Not sure if I'll diy that or not, but I have 18 months to work out all the details.

Even with a 3/4 blacked out tank the 180 will be entirely unacceptable? I did my best to place plants in front of walls to provide a deterrant/cushion. I could toss an aquatop cf500uv on the 37 to deal with the additional waste. The main fear there is that the grow out polys would be a little too voracious with a ghost shrimp buffet. They had that privilege for a month or so, but 3/5 began to fringe on obesity, so I put an end to it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I keep reading that a big tank isn't a good idea with small gar, but I put my FL in a 5' tank to start and have not had any problems. I got mine eating pieces of tilapia right away and he sniffs around at massivore but hasn't grabbed any yet.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Have you tried adding garlic to the massivore? I have a pretty fail-proof pellet training method for Polypterus that does not require starving. Its in the post titled, 'pellet training your hopeless Polypterus,' in the Polypterus section. I plan on trying that out after a week or two of settling.

I'm still not sold on his starting tank, can anyone offer first hand experience with the issues discussed regarding tank size?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I keep reading that a big tank isn't a good idea with small gar, but I put my FL in a 5' tank to start and have not had any problems. I got mine eating pieces of tilapia right away and he sniffs around at massivore but hasn't grabbed any yet.
I agree I've raised several gar in a large tank without issue. The bigger the better.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Any counterpoints?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store