cracked trim

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
just picked up a 120 gallon glass aquarium. 72x18x24. its got the old style fake wood trim on it and its cracked in a few places top and bottom and one of the corners is cracked. the two cross braces are fine. previous owner said he didnt have any problems. just curious if it will be or not

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Post some pics if you can, always test fill outside or in the garage, if needed they sell replacement frames

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I would replace it. The frames do alot more than people think. It's a structural element if the tank is designed to utilize plastic trim. The bottom is of the utmost importance since it bears the entire load of the tank... especially if the corners are completely separated by cracks. The main load bearing element is the silicone between the panes of glass, but the trim does play a part in reducing the bowing of the viewing panes and stiffening the corners. Some tank manufacturers use the trim as a jig to build the tank so it's usually a very tight fit.

The issue with cracked corners on the bottom is that a sudden lateral impact could cause the trim to shift under the weight of the tank. Silicone does not adhere well to plastic. Its unlikely but possible. Replacement trim isn't expensive. If you don't want to spend the cash to replace it you could at the very least use a 2 part epoxy "plastic weld" and some bar clamps on the corners.

I've got a couple small tanks (40b) sitting on cracked trim. Im biting my nails trying to plan for replacing them both. Its a risk I wouldn't take on a larger tank.

I paid like $16 a trim for some 40b tanks at the lfs. I'm a diy guy but it's hars to fabricate anything for less than $32

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
uploadfromtaptalk1419726672536.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1419726709764.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1419726735083.jpg

the crack in the corner on the top doesnt go all the way through the trim. could that be glued?

none of the bottom corners are cracked
the cracks in the bottom are about a foot or so from the edges

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I have seen a lot worse, I would clean it up and check the silicone. If the silicone is still firm but flexible and doesn't seem to be lifting from the glass I would test fill it outside or in the garage.

ben89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
minnesota
all the silicone looks great. after i get it cleaned up i will slowly add water and see if the cracks start to expand. if they do i guess i will drain it and get a new top.
i think it will be ok because the braces are still intact

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Thats nowhere near as bad as I imagined. I could post you a pic of my 40g if you really wanna see a really bad one. Lol

You could probably get away with an epoxy repair. Just sand and prep it good.
If you plan on leaving it setup for a long time and cannot see breaking It down or moving anytime soon it may be worth replacement of the trim.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store