adding fish?

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
so i set up a 150 and its been running for about a month with nothing in it while i was gathering equiptment. today i pulled apart a canister off my 65 and added a bunch of heavily cycled media to the filters on the 150. the tank tests no ammonia or nitrites. nitrates about 5ppm. i was going to add a 12" pleco and maybe another fish today. is that fine?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Should be fine and make sure keep your eyes on Nitrate for the first week (test daily), if Nitrate stable then just do your water change routine.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You should be fine. Check water parameters daily for the next several days to make sure there's no spiking. If there is, then you'll need to do about 30% w/c daily until BB activities catches up to bio load.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
If you dump old filter media into the new tank, it is instantly cycled and ready to add fish without waiting. I have done it many times and never lost fish.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
today i pulled apart a canister off my 65 and added a bunch of heavily cycled media to the filters on the 150
If you dump old filter media into the new tank, it is instantly cycled and ready to add fish without waiting. I have done it many times and never lost fish.
That's exactly what he did

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; My take is that the beneficial bacteria (bb) in the old media will need to feed and will need a source of ammonia right away. Adding the fish or some other source of ammonia will keep them going.

The next few days will be a peroid of balancing between the population of bb and the ammonia produced by things in the tank. My plan has been to add fish a few at a time over a number of weeks. This gives the bb population a chance to adjust and should help reduce ammonia spikes.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store