mid water tank mate for a jardini?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
i want another mid to top level fish that will be ok with my jardini, i have thought of a few but i woukd like more ideas to choose from, the other fish in the tank will be a leiarius pictus, jardini, and eventually a leopoldi ray.

my ideas so far are, p bass, oscar or a 6-barred distichodus.
i know there is pros and cons to all of them and they are not 100% going to work but they are the closest things i can think of that might work

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
jars are evil mate, i had a 14 incher that took my whole 300g in one day and was resold the next!-) whatever it is needs to hold its own yet not damage the jar maybe a clown knife or a big midas male... the bass is a done thing, an oscar could easily end up pinned in a corner very quickly... thought you was selling up on aq shane?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
jars are evil mate, i had a 14 incher that took my whole 300g in one day and was resold the next!-) whatever it is needs to hold its own yet not damage the jar maybe a clown knife or a big midas male... the bass is a done thing, an oscar could easily end up pinned in a corner very quickly... thought you was selling up on aq shane?
yea i know anything i put in there is a gamble, wouldn't a clown knife be a bit to slow? i know the oscar could get roughed up now and then but they seem to handle it well thats why i thought it could work :/ yea i was mate but i couldnt part with the leiarius, it took to long to find 1 lol so i'm building a really well insulated shed and heating it to solve the space issue so i can keep my fish and python :)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Ck won't stand a chance mate far to slow moving and on the turn , Midas could work though , or male jag ;):D I've had success with big male cichlids but they need to have two things, big mouths to flare up at the jar to at least try and defend itself , and a retreat that they can defend that's jardini proof (that's the tricky bit they can get everywhere lol ) I've found in the past that if you cut a piece of PVC pipe slightly shorter than the width of your tank (2-3" shorter each end ) and suction cup it to the end of the tank the angle is pretty hard for them to turn into and it blocks the line of sight , giving the cichlid a safe retreat to defend with its big mouth.
Hope you understood all that its quite hard to explain lol :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
yeah thats what i thought, they would just be an easy target lol i juzt got back from the lfs and they had 1 occel so i'm gonna try the bass out, my friend that works there is going to get some more for me when they start ordering again, i will keep you updated :)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Cool :cool::thumbup::)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store