Please Help ID This Crayfish

Moois232

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I recently purchased this crayfish and am unsure of its ID. If someone knows and has any info on them i.e. growth rates, common name, scientific name, max size, diet, etc. it would be very appreciated if you shared some info. Earlier it was eating a dead feeder if that helps. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1419804591.639877.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1419804616.473531.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
couldnt even begin to tell you what kind. I only keep the common ones i catch in the creeks around here.

as for growth rate and diet I would assume slow like most the other crayfish and diet is just about anything.
Mine eat fish, pellets, vegetables, and anything else i give them.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a red Louisiana crayfish or red swamp crayfish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
I agree. My guess would be this Procambarus Clarkii. They are a very common crayfish. As the name implies they are usually red when adults and from the southern swamps, however they now live over a lot of the USA and the rest of the world (in some places they are considered invasive pest). Chances are if you have ever eaten crayfish you have eaten one of these. To my knowledge they are the only commercially farmed crawdads in the US and are shipped all over the world.

As far as diet, don't put too much energy in thinking about it. If it is organic they will probably eat it. complete garbage disposals, veggies, plants, any meat, smaller relatives. Even to the point that they will eat some of your slower/smaller tank mates if they can catch them, assuming you have tank mates.

That said they also need a little cover if they are in your aquarium with more aggressive players. My convict and jack dempsey would torment relentlessly any of the crawdads I put in their aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store