New to saltwater tanks, have a couple questions about the startup cycle.

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
Hello everyone, I am new to saltwater tanks and I have a couple questions. First, I have a 20 gallon tank (I know that will greatly impact the fish I can buy) and I was wondering how long it takes before I can start adding fish. I have quality test kits and was wondering how often I should test the water. I have read a few different things about how to start it up and I have sand and live rock in there right now. Was that the correct thing to do? Also, the water itself looks pretty good but the sides of the tank are pretty cloudy. Is that normal?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
First time you set up a new tank with sand its normal for the glass to look a little cloudy as the tank settles. just clean the glass when you do the next water change.

When your add live rock some of the flora and fauna on the rock may die this will cause ammonia. So just check for parameters like salinity ,ph ,temps make sure they are all stable. And there is no ammonia or nitrites.
Once this is done you can start adding fish, slowly
I encourage to have a plan. Decide what fish are suitable for your system and each other before you start buying fish.

I would also say that once you start adding fish you need to quarantine new arrivals.
I know first hand the heartache of adding a fish to the tank only to realize it had a problem and then having to tear down the whole tank just to catch it again.

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
"First time you set up a new tank with sand its normal for the glass to look a little cloudy as the tank settles. just clean the glass when you do the next water change." When would you say I should do my water change? Should I wait for all my levels to get to where they are supposed to be or should I do that before it finishes cycling? I have heard people do it both ways and I haven't really gotten an answer as to which way is better.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I don't do water changes during the cycle. IMO it is important to measure ammonia in a newly started tank, however if you used cured live rock it is possible the tank is already cycled. One method I have used with good, cured live rock is to feed the tank like there are fish for 5 days in a row and then check all levels. If no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates showing up you are good to go. At this stage going slow will only help you moving forward!

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
I don't do water changes during the cycle. IMO it is important to measure ammonia in a newly started tank, however if you used cured live rock it is possible the tank is already cycled. One method I have used with good, cured live rock is to feed the tank like there are fish for 5 days in a row and then check all levels. If no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates showing up you are good to go. At this stage going slow will only help you moving forward!
Well, that is where I messed up. I bought cured live rock before I filled my tank and I didn't know what to do so I had it sitting out for a couple hours before I finally put it in. Not sure if that set me back at all. I also only have 3 small pieces. That is what the guy at Petco recommended for a 20 gallon.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

keithw283

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Ohio
What are parameters right now?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
PH= 8-8.2
Nitrate= 0-5 (Could this mean that the tank hasn't cycled through turning the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate?
Nitrite= 0
Ammonia= 0-0.5
Salinity= 1.027 (raised from 1.025 yesterday) what should the salinity be? I've heard 1.020-1.026 or 1.020-1.028. Is 1.027 good?

What do you think of these levels?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
PH= 8-8.2
Nitrate= 0-5 (Could this mean that the tank hasn't cycled through turning the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate?
Nitrite= 0
Ammonia= 0-0.5
Salinity= 1.027 (raised from 1.025 yesterday) what should the salinity be? I've heard 1.020-1.026 or 1.020-1.028. Is 1.027 good?

What do you think of these levels?
Feed the tank like fish are in it then give it a while then test.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I have live rock in there. I was told and have read that live rock is the best way to cycle the tank. Should I do both?
It's possible it is cycled. If the ammonia goes up it isn't if it stays low your good to move on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store