Stingray Rookie

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
As the title states, I've never owned a stingray but have always been interested. I came here to ask questions and hear opinions and responses from the people that know most which are the people on this website.

How sensitive are stingrays? I've heard that the water needs perfect and on point every drop.

What is the best way to care for stingrays? Tank mates? Water conditions?

What is an easy starter stingray to start with? Should I start with a pup? Or an adult?

Diseases? What should I watch out for? How can I avoid?

Any other ideas or comments about how to keep a stingray in a confident and safe environment please add them.
Thank you and please comment your opinions and advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
To start with what size tank do you have

To tell the truth they are easy to take care of with the right size tank very good filtration
They are no harder to take care of than any other fish as long as you have a good understanding of fish keeping

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
I have a 180 and a 150 gallon plus some other small tanks.
I've been taking care of fish for years now.
Ranging from arowanas, cichla, paroon Sharks and some South American cichlids

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
I just never tried a ray before because I just haven't had a chance too and I want to know all the requirements before I go out and buy one and kill it lol so that's why I'm here

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Here is the deal.. TK is correct they are not hard if the water quality is strong... that being said keeping water quality strong with a ray is much more difficult then with the avg fish. They produce much more waste also there metabolism is different then fish as they constantly discharge waste into the water as opposed to after meals like reg fish. This usually causes new owners to underestimate what the ray will produce causing a breakdown in water quality with a ray. and then a dead ray. With the size tanks you have you should start with a pup... get a male marble motoro a lot of them stay smaller and are quite hardy. Tankmates... keep it limited. the focus of the tank is the ray .. each ray tolerates stuff differently so it will be trial and error... think robust and peaceful for tankmates.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have a 180 and a 150 gallon plus some other small tanks.
I've been taking care of fish for years now.
Ranging from arowanas, cichla, paroon Sharks and some South American cichlids

You need a bigger tank

You you have taken care of the fish listed you shouldn't have problems taking care of rays as long as you get healthy rays that are feeding at the start

A Arowana should work well and bass

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I wish I could have a stingray, I've been researching them for months only to find out they're illegal in my state....stupid people releasing their fish into streams and lakes. If it weren't for irresponsible fishkeepers dumping their fish into the wild here, they would be legal to keep.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
As far as I know they originate from soft water (potomotrygon, formerly known as paratrygon rays) in South America. They're often found with fish like geophagus, satanoperca, severums, tetras (these are most likely prey for them). I've also heard plecos aren't very good with rays because they might suck on their slime coat but I take that with a grain of salt. I have seen some people keep them with aggressive cichlids like viejas (maculicauda, breidohri or argentea) but I'm not sure how that would go. Geos would probably be ok as tankmates since those are quite friendly compared to their more brutish cousins. But I haven't kept stingrays and I probably never will unless I move to a state where it's legal in the future. I just read a lot about them for months.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
As far as I know they originate from soft water (potomotrygon, formerly known as paratrygon rays) in South America. They're often found with fish like geophagus, satanoperca, severums, tetras (these are most likely prey for them). I've also heard plecos aren't very good with rays because they might suck on their slime coat but I take that with a grain of salt. I have seen some people keep them with aggressive cichlids like viejas (maculicauda, breidohri or argentea) but I'm not sure how that would go. Geos would probably be ok as tankmates since those are quite friendly compared to their more brutish cousins. But I haven't kept stingrays and I probably never will unless I move to a state where it's legal in the future. I just read a lot about them for months.
The only problem I have with my geo winemilleri and my ray is that they are aggressive sand sifters, so much so that they tend to grab mouthfulls of sand right off of my ray and she gets a little spooked sometimes and scoots away. Just hoping thus won't leave any marks long term.
They are not interested in attacking the ray just gets in the way.

My Super Red Severum is hilarious, he tries to ride the ray like those cats that ride on the robot vacuums.

I have a crown royal pleco and he has no interest in trying to attach to the ray.

I also have mature JD, Sajica and Salvinis with my ray and again none of them even bother or notice the ray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store