135 gallon filtration for turtle tank

618_Amphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
United States
Setting up 135 gallon aquarium for my two young aligator snapping turtles. I plan to have a few sunfish in the aquarium also, as I've had fish that lasted with them before. Im planning on either 2 aquatop cf500uv filters or 1 aquatop and 1 fluval 406. Is this enough or could I get much better filter for around the same price as the 2 I mentioned combined.

618_Amphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
United States
Anyone have any input or a suggestion for me? 2 aquatops at 525 gph or 1 aquatop and 1 fluval which is rated at 383gph. I can also purchase a filter which would be similar in cost to the 2 that I mentioned , about 300 dollars.

patjava30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2015
Upstate New York
Everything Ive read about keeping turtles says twice the filtration as the size of the tank, 40 gallon tank needs 80 gallons of filtration. Not 80 gallons per hour, 80 gallons of filtration. Snapping turtles are messy so air on the side of caution and over filtrate. Do you have any pics of your set up?

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Really curious what you plan on doing with those in the future.

They will eventually eat any fish you keep with them. And the more filtration the better. I would think a couple of Fluval FX6 would be sufficient.

Old thread. Wonder what happened.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store