permit for potomotrygon species in California?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I heard of such a thing and I'm wondering if there is any possible way for me to legally own one. I am aware that these permits are quite pricey but I'm willing to pay to keep such majestic creatures. I know that there are permits to keep them for "educational purposes" which leads me to believe that only zoos/public aquariums are eligible to get one but I'm curious if there are any other permits I can obtain to legally keep one of these, I've always dreamed of having a motoro stingray in my 240 gallon. Thank you.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sorry, ...No. There is no such thing as a hobbyist's permit for FW SA rays in CA. Only public aquariums and accredited university labs, with approved research projects, may maintain FW SA rays in CA.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Sorry, ...No. There is no such thing as a hobbyist's permit for FW SA rays in CA. Only public aquariums and accredited university labs, with approved research projects, may maintain FW SA rays in CA.
I knew it.....there goes my hopes and dreams.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've never heard of anyone acquiring permits for prohibited fish but I had a neighbor before that had a permit for hot snakes for educational purposes but he would actually bring these snakes to all sorts of meets and shows to educate people.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I've never heard of anyone acquiring permits for prohibited fish but I had a neighbor before that had a permit for hot snakes for educational purposes but he would actually bring these snakes to all sorts of meets and shows to educate people.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Transporting a cycled 240 gallon around to educate people about a stingray is different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store