Filtration, Lighting,Substrate Help

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
Well that seems like a lot of help, I am in need of it! I am new hear and I posted in the intro section earlier today. I hope this is in the correct section. I am not new to this hobby I am just new to this scale. As I said in my previous post my wife and I are currently purchasing our dream home and there is a great opportunity to install a large tank. The dimensions are 4Hx4Lx3W. These dimensions are close but could change slightly once the construction starts. My questions when going to a tank of this size starts with lighting. This tank will be a see through room divider style that is between to levels of the living space. When on the top level the lid will be at around 4 ft so it will need a finished lid that matches the surrounding wood work. To keep this post shorter I will try to stick to the immediate questions that will effect the Framing/ finish work for the tank. First off Species, as of now we are looking at peacock bass, arowana, possible Oscars something along those lines. My concern with the lighting is the depth. Is 4ft to deep to light easily? Second is filtration, I really don't have a clue with this size tank and the messy eaters we are talking about putting in the tank. My concerns are noise due to its location in the living space. The location and access also concerns me with water changes, that is why I was thinking of using a drip system. The next thing on the list is appearance, my wife does not like a bare bottom tank, what options do we have for ease of maintenance and practicality with the species we are looking at? Another thought is if these species are just to crazy to have in a tank like she wants should we go a different direction completely with the species and go to a more communal tank with who knows what type of schooling pretty fish? I will leave it at this for now, kind of all over the place. I have lots of questions going through my head! Thank you in advance, this forum is really a gold mine if knowledge and ideas.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Thats a massive tank lol.

My suggestion for lighting would be an LED strip. LED's tend to have the power to make it through a large water column like what you'll have.

Filtration all depends on how much access you'll have to the tank.
For something that size I'd personally have a canister filter as well as running a sump underneath.
Again that all depends on how much access you'd have underneath the tank in order to run a sump, but ultimately that will be your best bet for a tank that size with the potential stock you are talking about having.

substrate=sand, sand, and more sand. Its easy to clean because leftover food and any other solid matter in the tank will sit right on top of it. Also, if you decide to get a species that is a bottom dweller at some point the sand will be perfect for them as well (I recommend bichirs or catfish as a personal favorite).

Good luck, make sure to update this thread when you get the tank~!

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
I will have access under the tank, What Equipment Should I bee looking at? I will do the research just looking for a starting point. Can a sump run quietly? Most I have seen generate a bit of noise

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
They have the capacity to run quietly yes.

First and foremost make sure the tank you get is drilled since you are using this as a room divider.

You will need overflows, bulkheads, and depending on how you want to run the plumbing into the sump tank you will need all the necessary pipes and fittings.

You'll also need a return pump out of the sump.

I would google sump designs and look at what others have done. I'm by no means an expert but I am building a sump currently for the 310 gallon I just picked up. It's not to hard, just have to know what you want and go from there.

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
That was leading me to the next question, all of my setup before were through the top. I assume by drilling all you do is install bulk heads in the bottom of the tank and run things that way? Is a drip system not recommended in this case? I think the hardest part if the tanks location would be a water change.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yes drilling is putting exit and return holes in your tank with bulkheads.
In your case the bulkheads will need to be on the bottom again due to were you are putting the tank. Thats how mine is but I didnt choose it that way haha.

I'm not super familiar with drip systems at all. I dont have the means to put one in my fish rooms so I use the ol' tried and true python for water changes.

You still have that option of using a python to do WC's. You would just be pulling the water out of the sump instead of the main tank is all.

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
Yea, I am concerned with how I will clean the sand with a 4ft deep tank, also its strange to me to have a bulk head on the bottom of the tank, just worries me I guess. There aren't suppose to be holes in m tank!

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
I live in western New York by the way so everything will be ordered online, I like to see and touch this stuff. Just not an option here.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ya...4 ft tanks suck for cleaning even if you have a stepladder and a garden hose haha. Gotta get creative with the substrate vacing in that tank.

I recommend powerheads aimed at the bottom to push anything that may linger on the bottom towards your overflows.

My solution to the bulkheads on the bottom is to run pipe up towards the top of the overflow box from the bulkhead with a sponge on the end as a prefilter, that way you aren't in danger of the entire tank draining onto the floor if your return pump dies.

Silversamps85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
New York
That makes sense, this should be fun. I am have built a few aquariums, am I nuts to even try this build? Or should I try to contract this out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store