Gar swimming at glass?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I just got my gar on Saturday, he's about 8-9" and he keeps swimming at the glass. I don't think it's normal but I figured I would check. I did a water change Saturday morning and as of yesterday night water parameters are perfect. My ph is around 8 though. The water temp is 80*. He's not running into it, basically just has his nose against it swimming back and forth like he's trying to get his reflection or something. He's in a 75g atm.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
mine do that all the time...its like they want to keep moving forward to turn around. They are fine they just get stuck in that forward motion against the glass occasionally lol.

Black on the back and sides of the tank, that may help.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
mine do that all the time...its like they want to keep moving forward to turn around. They are fine they just get stuck in that forward motion against the glass occasionally lol.

Black on the back and sides of the tank, that may help.
I may do that. Another question. The guy at my LFS said sometimes floridas get these bug type things on them. He told me that there weren't any on this one but I found one this morning. My guess is that they probably could be harmful but idk how to get it off. Everytime I try to get tweezers at it the gar moves around and I don't want to hurt him. Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1419873409.831230.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
can you snag a different pic? Is it the spot on his forehead? I'd need to see it from a different angle to tell for sure.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
certainly what it looks like...I've never seen one on any fish...I would give your gar a paraguard bath for 30 mins, and if it doesn't fall off at that point just wrangle your gar and get in there very gently with some tweezers...parasites like that can be pulled off fairly easily...I've taken leeches off wild caught fish that way...

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
certainly what it looks like...I've never seen one on any fish...I would give your gar a paraguard bath for 30 mins, and if it doesn't fall off at that point just wrangle your gar and get in there very gently with some tweezers...parasites like that can be pulled off fairly easily...I've taken leeches off wild caught fish that way...
For the bath do you medicate the bucket then put him in or do you put him in then medicate it?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
For the bath do you medicate the bucket then put him in or do you put him in then medicate it?

medicate first, then put the fish in. thats the way I've always done it. make sure you dose accordign to how big the container is you are using for the bath.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store