Setting up first tank in a while/Suggestions are very much welcomed!

NYCheken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2014
Flushing, NY
Hey Guys/Gals,

Been around the hobby for a long time and had one time 40 plus tanks running... Needless to say that was more of a job than enjoyment. Well to make story short, buying a new house and will have room for a new tank. Was thinking of going 240 gallon to 500 gallons. Question though, I wanted to have a display tank on the first floor and the house does have a basement - concern ofc is the weight of the filled tank. A few questions for the experts:

1) I will have a contractor doing some minor remodeling but im not sure how familiar they are with adding support to the basement under the tank. Anyone know of any contacts I can ask/hire that could offer guidance?
2) Anyone possibly share pictures of similar setups so I can use for reference?
3) I have some tanks Im deciding on but any other sources for good big tanks? (used or new)

After taking quite a few years off and being married/3 kids - this is quite exciting and looking forward to feedbacks/suggestions from everyone.

Thanks
Ken

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
A contractor should be familiar with adding support colums under the floor in the basement. Pick the size of tank you want and figure out the weight of it and they should be able to handle necessary supports. If they can't do it I would be concerned with any other type work they can do.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I would think that any reputable contractor could do the necessary bracing that you would need to have a tank of that size on the first floor. I just put a 125g tank on the first floor of my house, while not the size of what your going to have I still did the research and picked the correct location for the tank. If needed I could've braced my floor but I was within my weight limit and didn't end up having to brace.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Check the orientation and spacing of the floor joists. Corners and areas near exterior or loadbearing walls are generally better spots than the middle of a room.

Stands with long runners on the bottom to distribute load are better than stands with legs (like a table) not sure about stuff over 200 gallons, but smart placement of the tank can get you a long way

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store