water parameters

Jphann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
San Jose , ca
I have a 240gal tank with 4 10-12in silver aros 1 16-18im jardini 1 tiger oscar and 1 catfish. Yesterday i did a water change and i use api stresscoat and stress zyme +. I tested my water today it was at 6.2-6.6 ph and tested med high in amonia no2 and no3. What could be the cause and what can i do . Water temperature is at 80-83. Just added another heater to keep it at a calm range since the tank is in the garage

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Not enough info

1. How long have the tank been running?
2. Have your water parameters ever been normal(ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate present)?
3. What are you running for filtration (be very specific)?
4. Why do you feel the need to use Stresscoat/Stresszyme?
5. Are you using declorinator with water changes?
6. What is pH out of the tap?
7. How much and how often do you do water changes?

Jphann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
San Jose , ca
Not enough info

1. How long have the tank been running?
2. Have your water parameters ever been normal(ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate present)?
3. What are you running for filtration (be very specific)?
4. Why do you feel the need to use Stresscoat/Stresszyme?
5. Are you using declorinator with water changes?
6. What is pH out of the tap?
7. How much and how often do you do water changes?
The tank been running for over a month since the move but all the stuff onside beside water has been running for almost a year.
2.the parameter has been at 0 0 and about 5ppm
3. Filtration is a fx6 and a eheim ecco
4. I was using prime then the last 2 wc i notice the slimecoat so lfs said to use that.
5. I use prime . But lfs said to use stresscoat without prime.
6. The ph out of tap is 8.4-8.8 dark purple
7. I do 2 wc a week now was doing only 1 a week i take out about 50gals. Add water straight then declorinator. Also i have a 5gal bucket with hot water added at same time slowly so the temp range doesnt go beyond a 1.5°f difference. Someone showed me that way

Jphann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
San Jose , ca
Just tested water again nh3 is at 0.25-0.50
no2 0.25-0.50
No3 about 40-80ppm
did a water change yesterday and added salt
also ph is roughly about 6.2 to 6.4 foe some reason

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
There is no way your PH can drop 2 +/- points from water change with your current tap water at 8.4~8.8 you fish would die with sudden dropped of PH so I would say you did the PH test wrong (if you using API test kit then there are 2 bottle for PH, 1 low ph test and 1 high ph test, using the wrong one will cause the test result error), for ammonia spike i would say something went wrong with your Bio filtration also tresscoat or tresszyme has nothing to do with your PH drop or Ammonia control, and Prime is better than API tresscoat, tresszyme on the declo part. Another thing to consider with large water change without aging your water first then there is a change your tap water chlorine kill your good bacteria before dechlorine like prime taking effect and does it job.

Jphann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2014
San Jose , ca
I tested it 3 times exactly as the instruction says . Can it be my twst kit and also i ran the strips it said ph was the o ly one that was low. What can i do

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
+2

Pack in a few extra liters of eheim substrat pro. Stuff is miraculous. Matrix is great too. Luckily my tap pH is great for all of my fish, so I just add prime in increments as the hose refills the tank. I would stick with prime, its the tried and true best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store