Anyone have an aggressive cichlid with their polys, like a jag, midas, red devil,etc?

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
I did have a green terror and a Jack Dempsey had to remove them both eventually. They didn't really pick on the ones that were bigger than tbem tho.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Had an vieja syn with my endli. Pretty difficult to feed because the vieja started to love the taste of massivore. Ended up having to add a little more each time for the endli, and the syn has a huge stomach lol. No aggression issues. Although I have a vieja argentea about 2in that love to constantly attack my 10in endlis tail so I have to rehome the argentea.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I kept my first two Poly's, both sens, in a cichlid community for five years with no issues. I gave away most of the cichlids when I moved, but kept the Poly's and a single convict that no one wanted and put them in an aqua scaped 40g with plenty of hiding spots. The sens were at around 9-10" at this point, the convict in the 4" range. I added an angelicus syndontis to the mix. That single convict terrorized the polys and the angelicus day in and day out, nipping, chasing, boxing out of food piles. I eventually found a home for the convict and set up a 180 gallon poly community.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I dont have aggressive cichlids but have the challenge of getting food to the bottom feeders like the weeksii and del. They would have zero chance to eat if i did not feed at night. I put a mix of floating and sinking pellets in of many mixed sizes but the cichlids make quick work of it. I would have to seriously overfeed to get food down to the polys with my regular feedings. feeding after lights go out has been perfect.

I do not notice any aggression toward my two poly but then I have pretty mild cichlids which include a pearsei, regani, heterospilus and red bay snook.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
I have had many cichlids with polys. I had red bay, Trimac, dovii, psittacus, oscar, red devil etc. i have my dovii and psittacus with over 20 polys in my tank. they just do fine... somtimes when the dovii is very moody he would pick them up but the bichirs wouldnt thrash lol. as for food. i never worry lol

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I kept my bass and dats with polys. There exert mild aggressions toward the polys and feeding can be tricky trying to get polys enough food.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
With my polys I've successfully kept RD's, oscars, salvinis, green terrors, blue acaras, severums, peacock cichlids, victorian flamebacks, JD's, and probably others I've forgotten.

The only issue I had was with a single, ornery mayan cichlid. He doesn't tolerate ANYBODY though. I'd say it depends on the individual a lot of the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store