Importing fish from Brazil

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Last summer in a fish market in São Paulo, Brazil I stumbled upon a man selling 6 supposedly wild caught green terrors, I think they were farm raised in a lake but that's not the point. These green terrors were some of the nicest ones I've seen. They had long threaded dorsal and anal fins, what looked like nuchal humps in devlopment and vibrsnt colors. I bought them for only 30 real which was about $15 at the time (not sure of the exchange rate as of now) and I left them under my uncles care in a 75 gallon. I really want to bring them back home with me next August but I am not sure how the process would work. My mother whom I travel with and I are both citizens of Brazil as well as USA, my father is only an American citizen. We fly out of LAX and into Guarulhos in São Paulo, both airports are major hubs. My cousin is a biologist who works for the state of São Paulo. I'm not sure if any of this matters but I just thought I should mention it to see if it matters. I'm pretty sure it will cost an arm and leg but I think I'm willing to fork out the cash and maybe bring some other fish with me as well. Some might not think it's worth it and all but this thread is for information on how to import them, not if its worth it. So with the being said, if anyone knows how to LEGALLY import fish from Brazil and about how much the whole process would cost that would be very helpful, thank you.
Here's a crappy picture of them in a 10 gallon quarantine, I know they look average to say the least in this photo but they are spectacular looking fish in person. image.jpg

image.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I know some people who come from Uruguay via Miami every year with boxes of fish. They claim as hobbyists and walk right through. They have to answer questions about what fish are included so it is important to have the latin names handy. As long as there are no plants or inverts you should be fine.

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
Just FYI, Brazil is among the strictest countries in terms of exporting freshwater fish. They have a list of what fish are allowed to be exported and anything not on the list is not allowed. No Andinocara are on that list. If you try to just bring them with you on the flight home you will be arrested for biopiracy. Sorry to say, even a licensed exporter would not be able to get those fish to you. Not to mention even if they could, once you factored in air freight, USFWS inspection, etc. those $15 fish would land you somewhere in the ballpark of $250.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store