easiest way to change water on monster tanks?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Few Ideas running through my mind.

Tank with Sump

Drain hole on the sump high near the top. Stick a hose in the tank and fill with fresh water as the water overflows out the sump drain hole. Water level never drops.

This will work?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
diluting is a poor excuse for water changes. it takes much more water to get the same results you get with a drain then fill.
the math is on the site.

HZO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2013
On the other hand, if your tap water is safe to add directly to your tank, it would be very easy to add as much water as needed, assuming that the cost of water and the possible temperature differences are not an issue.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
What you're proposing is how you set up an overflow drip system, the new water is filtered and trickled in so not to affect water temp.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes basically a drip but not all the time. If I know that in half an hour my hose fills 200g it would be a time thing.

Do you know where I can find the math?

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
diluting is a poor excuse for water changes. it takes much more water to get the same results you get with a drain then fill.
the math is on the site.
If I add 200g to a 400g tank have I not done a 50 percent water change?

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
If I add 200g to a 400g tank have I not done a 50 percent water change?
Not really, as some of the new water will go out with the old.
What I did was add a bulkhead into my overflow box. About halfway down and run the drain into the yard or sewer clean out. Turn off the pump, open the valve and half the water drains out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes, I was just thinking of a way to change water through one Central Sump instead of putting another drilled hole on my tanks.

So what I will probably do is add a hole at half way mark on the tank with valve and call it a day!

Not sure I want a drip system for the fact of the Chlorine always being in the system

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Ya, I was just thinking of a way to change water through one Central Sump instead of putting another drilled hole on my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store