African Cichlid Substrate

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I have a 450 african cichlid tank (it has a lot of plecos and synodontis to) and I am using gravel for a substrate. I want to get fine sand so my peacock cichlids can dig, but i don't know what kind to get or if i should get sand. I read sand can create sulfuric acid and that will lower the pH if it is sitting for to long without being stirred up. What kind of substrate should i use?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Aragonite sand can be purchased in many grain sizes, and tends to raise pH to equilibrium, buffering the water. It can be as small as sugar size grains.
I mix grain size.

I like to use it in fluidized filters as a buffering agent.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Thanks,

Where would i buy this at? Also, would it work for the plecos, synodontis, and cichlids in the tank (and other fish i put in the tank because i am thinking of adding cory catfish)? Is it smooth?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I read sand can create sulfuric acid and that will lower the pH if it is sitting for to long without being stirred up.
This can occur if the sand layer is too deep and goes undisturbed for a long period of time. To prevent this, don't go too deep with the sand, and sift through all areas of the sand every couple of weeks or so to prevent anaerobic condition from occurring

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
This can occur if the sand layer is too deep and goes undisturbed for a long period of time. To prevent this, don't go too deep with the sand, and sift through all areas of the sand every couple of weeks or so to prevent anaerobic condition from occurring
Thanks,

What would you mix for plecos, synodontis, and cichlids in the tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Aragonite is usually sold as a salt water tank substrate, it is crushed coral sand.
I have it in tanks with Synodontus, plecos and corys.
The tank in my photo above houses S petricola.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Is Aragonite smooth? If so, where would i buy it?

Also what substrate do african cichlids prefer?

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Is there a smooth and white sand that i could use. If so where could i buy it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It is sold at any LFS that sells salt water fish, including Petco, and online at Drsfostersmith etc etc.
It comes from ocean beaches, so much of it is naturally worn down from wave action.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store