In need of some inspiration

ctarry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2009
UK
Hi folks

after been out of the hobby for a few years, I will be getting a 3'x2x2 tank (the max I can fit) in Feb when I move house, but just need some inspiration on stocking.

I am into my predatory/oddball/aggressive kind of fish, and I have been around the block. Just to give you an idea, I have kept pygo piranhas and a spilo, rays, gars, electric eel, Erythrinus, Hoplias (maybe curupira, cant remember), SA Leaf fish, dats, wyckii cat, paradise threadfin, to name a few, but also had various marine setups as well.

When I decided I was going to start again, I started thinking of a smaller tank for a congo puffer, before deciding to go slightly bigger for a planted Erythrinus tank, then thought about a tidal tank with mudskippers. But since then, I visited my favourite shop in the UK just to try and get some more ideas (wish I didn't now), and saw they had a few 6-8" diamond rhoms that were stunning, a manuelli, some exo's, H. curupira around the 10" mark I think (which I can't stop thinking about), and then I saw dovii's and jag cichlids (I would love a dovii or jag, but they would appreciate a longer tank?), and 2 different african lungfish species. I did also start to think about a marine tank, but don't really want to go down that route.

I don't mind if I end up with 1 fish, or a group. But 1 thing that is important is that I do sometimes spend a few days away from home, so they would need to be happy with fasting for a few days, thus the idea of predators.

I must admit the black wolf isn't the most entertaining of fish, and can disappear, blending in with the bogwood (like my last 1 did), but there is something about them

ctarry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2009
UK
oh, hello BTW. Didn't realise that was my first post. It's only taken nearly 6 years :D

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Have you ever kept any polypterus aka bichir, if not look them up and see if you like them.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think a few kind of catfish might work,I have never kept them but gulper is one idea

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Big group of striped raphs (5-6) would look good with some piles of leaves and driftwood scattered around the tank with dimmed down lighting.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
3'x2x2 would be a good start for a shoal of Exodon and you can do it with planted tank and later you can add a red wolf in case you got bore with Exo :). Beware that if you go for Exodons then it will be difficult to add any tank mates later on without worry about your Exo will kill any new mates or the new tank mates will kill all your Exo (ex: add a decent size Piranha 6~8 inches or a Jaguar Cichlid those will wipe out Exo with time)

ctarry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2009
UK
Polys were the first predatory fish I ever had, after being told they would be fine in a community tank (with barbs and tetras), then over a few weeks I noticed the tank was starting to look a bit bare. Suppose it was the polys that got me into oddballs. Had a stripped raph in the same tank, and then totally forgot I had it until a year or 2 after, only because it would come out of hiding (wherever that was) an hour of being in darkness.
Gulper cat is an interesting suggestion. With all the talk of catfish, it's reminded me of Cetopsis :drool:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Polys were the first predatory fish I ever had, after being told they would be fine in a community tank (with barbs and tetras), then over a few weeks I noticed the tank was starting to look a bit bare. Suppose it was the polys that got me into oddballs. Had a stripped raph in the same tank, and then totally forgot I had it until a year or 2 after, only because it would come out of hiding (wherever that was) an hour of being in darkness.
Gulper cat is an interesting suggestion. With all the talk of catfish, it's reminded me of Cetopsis :drool:
Cetopisis are great cats I've seen them at my LFS on multiple occasions but have been forbidden to take any home :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store