Ordering Fish from Alibaba.com

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
Has anyone tried to order fish, plants, seeds or anything else from Alibaba? Looks like you can bulk order koi, loaches, discus, lotus seeds, and other aquatic plants and animals. I'd like to know if anyone has had a successful experience.

Also, does anyone know the laws and regulations for importing fish through these types of vendors? To be clear, I am not asking for info about fish that are on the restricted list. Instead, I'm looking for other rules that might apply.

BTW- sorry if this has already been posted. I tried to use the search tool but kept getting an error message.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Unless you plan on reselling some of the fish ordered from overseas... the shipping costs involved are just too much. Avg min. would be 50kgs for 900usd(true for SA and Asian exports) or roughly 3 boxes of fish. You would also have to go thru a transhipper and pay for additional fees and permits. I have never ordered live fish from Alibaba, but I pretty sure the procedures will be similar.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
There's so much cool stuff on alibaba, bit what am I gonna do with a pallet of sunsun canisters?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Big Business

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2005
DC area
Good insight, Vincent. I was considering buying some lotus seeds to sprout and resell in the spring. I haven't done the math to determine the return on investment. Seems like it could be fairly costly.

And just out of general curiosity, I wonder if alibaba will open up new markets and opportunities for wholesalers.

Mud Butt, very insightful comment.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store