Help needed please

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I am in the process of setting up a 90 gallon in my basement. Its an unfinished basement exactly you get when a new house is bought. Bottom half of the walls and floor is bare concrete. This 90 gallon will be sitting on a wooden oak stand. I an confused about
1) putting the wooden stand directly on bare concrete
2) apply or put something to/on floor and then put the stand on it

Please advise what this "something" would be?

What are the cons if I put the stand directly on the bare concrete. Money is little tight currently and can't spent more.

Thanks

Sent by telekinetic brain waves using MonsterAquariaNetwork App :)

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
just make sure it is level, other than that it does not matter if its on bare concrete or not.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
All you need to do is put 3/4 inch foam between the STAND AND AQUARIUM and make sure the floor is level. It doesn't matter what the stand is resting on.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My 180 has been sitting on concrete level floor 14 years, set empty tank on stand and put a level on it before adding water.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone. I do really appreciate the time and response from all here. My wooden stand a monarch oak stand ,I believe its from marineland. Idea of foam between aquarium and tank is a good one but the top if stand had three parallel wood strips of 1.5 feet length and 5 inches wide and there us nothing in between. So woukd I be adding foam on top of those wooden strips or to the full length and width of stand top?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
All you need to do is put 3/4 inch foam between the STAND AND AQUARIUM .
no, you don't need to do this. I've never done this and never had an issue in 30+ years of fishkeeping. I can trace the lack back 2 previous generations of fishkeeping with no problems.
wood stands, iron stands, dressers, wood floors, carpeted floors, tv carts, counter tops...
all you need is a level, stable surface on something that will support the weight.
I will occasionally use a towel if I care about the surface.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
All you need to do is put 3/4 inch foam between the STAND AND AQUARIUM and make sure the floor is level. It doesn't matter what the stand is resting on.
no, you don't need to do this. I've never done this and never had an issue in 30+ years of fishkeeping. I can trace the lack back 2 previous generations of fishkeeping with no problems.
wood stands, iron stands, dressers, wood floors, carpeted floors, tv carts, counter tops...
all you need is a level, stable surface on something that will support the weight.
I will occasionally use a towel if I care about the surface.
+1. Although, rigid foam insulation will be beneficial for insulation since the tank is in the basement. My 180 is in an unfinished/unheated basement as well and I also cut these rigid foam insulation to cover all the sides of the tank, and I also made a canopy out of this foam. I just remove the panels when I want to view/feed.
foam2.jpg

foam2.jpg

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Thanks a lot everyone. Advise from personal experience is the best. I am making sure tank is level as much it can. Also a picture is worth of thousand words. Very neat idea for insulation. I will be working on this later as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store