New Retic eating but not growing???

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
Let me start by saying this is my first stingray. I know Retics aren't supposed to be for beginners but I'm 35 and been keeping fish since I was 15. So I bought a Retic about 2 and a half months ago. The guy I bought it from had it in a 75 gal. He estimated to have owned it about a year. This ray can't be more than 5 inch disc and maybe 9 inch tip to tail. I bought it because it ate like a champ. From the day I brought it home it ate like a PIG. It will only eat Mysis frozen shrimp for me so far. I feed him 2 cubes in the morning and 2 more at night. I can't figure out if this fish is stunted, parasites or way under fed? It looks healthy as ever to me. The poop looks normal and his stomach never looks empty. The age of this Stingray and it's size just don't add up to me. I'm open to all opinions and suggestions.

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
It most likely has parasites. My female was the exact same way. She ate extremely well but never grew even eating massivore, shrimp, tilapia, and worms. I would treat her for parasites. Any pics of her?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
Believe it or not I found it on Craigs list for 75 bucks. Ill post pictures tonight. What meds are stingray safe? I have Fenbendosol for feline parasites that I used to use on my Flowerhorns. I'm just wondering why I haven't seen any signs of parasites yet...

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Believe it or not I found it on Craigs list for 75 bucks. Ill post pictures tonight. What meds are stingray safe? I have Fenbendosol for feline parasites that I used to use on my Flowerhorns. I'm just wondering why I haven't seen any signs of parasites yet...
I didn't see any signs on mine other then it just never grew and never got any thicker. There is a list in the stickies of ray safe meds but the list is a little out dated. If you notice it breathing heavily you could start with some prazipro I have used it on other fish in my ray tank and have had zero issues with it. Just follow the instructions.

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I have had lots of success with prazipro too. I would also try feeding more and nothing will fatten up like worms those cubes are lots of frozen water

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
Let me ask you guys this... Are the night crawlers easier to get the ray to accept than other frozen foods? I have tried krill and bloodworms and the ray wont touch em... Tried soggy pellets and massivore. The moment you drop mysis in he attacks... He also loves ghost shrimp. I have even tried just tossing in one sliver of krill along side his favorites and he just skims right over it. Where do I get the worms from? Bait shop or backyard? I was always told night crawlers from bait shops have fish attractants pumped in them?

I tried prazi a few years back and didnt get good results. Went to the Fenbendosol and never looked back. You guys using powder or liquid prazi?

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Liquid prazi. Also worms are a pretty fatty food and help a ray plump up. They also like them because it is fresh and a natural pray item. Any pics I can imagine this ray is pretty thin? Ghost shrimp really don't have much to them is the problem. The ray has to consume a lot of ghost shrimp to get a decent amount of nutritional value.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store